Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

As I have started final installing my fluid plumbing, I would like to know what folks are using for sealants and assembly lube for the various types of connections we find. Here's my list. Please check me for correctness and make any suggestions/corrections/or just plain dope slapping.

- AN connectors: Antiseize on the threads or just use 30W oil on the threads? Nothing on the mating surface itself.
- AN hose ends to tubing: just a bit of a light oil here to help out getting the fitting seated?
- NPT connections: teflon tape or equivalent type of thread sealer
- Brake flare connections: Similar to AN connectors...maybe just a bit of antiseize or another lubricant to assist in tightening
- Metric/ISO bubbles: Never used these before but it looks like they seal on the flare and not the threads but any advice here is good. I have two of the Breeze adapters installed on the MC to convert this to 3/16 flare.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Rick,

- AN connectors: Anti-seize on the threads or just use 30W oil on the threads? Nothing on the mating surface itself.

OK.

- AN hose ends to tubing: just a bit of a light oil here to help out getting the fitting seated?

Not necessary but won't hurt.

- NPT connections: Teflon tape or equivalent type of thread sealer

Prefer Teflon paste, use the one in the White and Yellow tube, certified for Fuels and Oil, Jet and Gasoline.

- Brake flare connections: Similar to AN connectors...maybe just a bit of anti-seize or another lubricant to assist in tightening

Nothing on these, except maybe a dab of brake fluid for lubrication.

- Metric/ISO bubbles: Never used these before but it looks like they seal on the flare and not the threads but any advice here is good. I have two of the Breeze adapters installed on the MC to convert this to 3/16 flare.

Correct, same as above for brake lines.

Hank

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
On senders like water senders,oil temp senders,ect I like to use the teflon tape. Just cleaner easyer install. Places like head bolts,manifold, water pump or any bolt that calls for sealing I like the paste. Prefer to use the lock tite brand thread sealant when used. Brake line fittings,nothing is used. These rely on the flare not the threads to seal.
Flywheel bolts blue lock tite only.I don't use additional thread sealer here.

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Rick,

On senders it's better not to use Teflon tape, or any other type of material that would insulate the sender. Instead, use Anti-Seize, as it will not insulate the electrical connection if you have electric senders. If they are mechanical, no problem with Teflon.

Hank

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Please throw all teflon tape in the trash barrel now. You'll never be sorry you did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts