Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I've noticed that even when cruising at a steady RPM with no change in electrical load my voltage has started to fluctuate from about 12.5 to 14 volts. It's not a quick change but instead, is a gradual change. I can watch it slowly change up or down as I'm driving. What the heck is causing this?

Rick Williams

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Check the connections at the battery, the positive connections at the starter relay, the negative battery cable connection at the frame and the engine ground strap connections. Make sure they are all clean and tight. Also, check the connections at the alternator itself and the alternator mounting bolts, since the alternator is grounded through the frame. Is the alternator fail light coming on?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found the problem. The long bolt that holds the alternator and threads into the passenger side head broke! Now I've got to figure out how to get it out of the head since only about 1/8" is sticking out. Then I'll figure out why the bolt broke in the first place. It looks like I'm not aligned very well.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
With the bolt broken there isn't any tension on the threads. Which means there is a possibility that the piece remaining in the head is not very tight. You can always try an EZ-out. I have some left hand drill bits at work that are made to remove broken/damaged fasteners. They're a one step process and they have worked many times (although not always) for me. Mine are made by Mac Tools and I know Snap-On sells the same thing. Not sure if Craftsman does, too. With the left hand drill bits you know if they are going to do the trick in just a few seconds. If they don't you can still switch to the EZ-out.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul...Thanks for the tips. I got it out :D !

Yeah, I have left hand bits and some easy outs. Note that I said SOME easy outs. The rest that came with the complete set are broken off in various bolts throughout the years. I've never had much luck with them. Same with the spline type extractors. Normally I probably could have picked away at the broken piece and gotten it out since like you said, once broken, there would be no load on the threads. However, me in my infinite wisdom ;) , had used blue locktite on the alternator bracket bolts so they wouldn't ever back out.

Anyway, I ended up welding a bolt to the broken bolt. I only had two threads sticking out of the head so it was a little scary but I got it. Once the bolt was welded on I was able to turn it right out.

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts