Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after talking on line with a fellow Floridian (thanks Dan for all of your help)and my body shop I determined I should complete my car with out paint, drive it a bit and make sure everything is working and no tire rubbing etc. Well I go to my local DMV and speak with a woman (very nice and helpful) at the counter regarding the recently passed "Hot Rod" bill thinking I could have on the reg. and the title that it is a 1965 replica instead of a 2006 kit car. Not a huge deal other than I like replica over kit car. It turns out that this wil only be the case if you purchase the car complete and unregistered and titled by a builder such as Whitby Motor. Now looking at the kit car application for registration she is confused regarding the "sworn affadavit of road worthyness". She believes I am going to have to take it to Plantation Florida for a full inspection by a Sate inspector!!!I explained it is a convertble with NO TOP and thats a two hour plus drive from Naples each way. I thought this was supposed to be easy.She is checking with the powers that be in Tallahasse. So my question is to others who have gone down this path- What needs to be stated on the affidavit and who has to sign for it?? ASE certified tech.? Owner as in me? Mark Smith

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Not sure, but I thought you could have a cop or even a notary sign it. It's been a while since I read the document and it may have changed since the new bill came out.

Also, I didn't see anything about the car needing to be built by a professional builder in order to title it as a 1965. Did you see that in writing?

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: pro builder-No I could not or could the person at DMV, but it does say a completed car with all new parts. As well as the receipt from FFR says Replica on the invoice heading but then notes it as a kit in the individual items. Therefore the DMV thinks that it is a kit. I would guess if I could show a bill of sale from you to me for a completed car with the total purchase price and no invoice from FFR I could get around it. Want to buy and sell a car in five minutes or less???

·
Junior Charter Member
235 Posts
I went to the local DMV in September of 2005 with my MCO. My title says year is: 1965. Make is: FFR.
There is another section that says Primary brand: REPLICA.
I think it all depends on which miserable government employee you get. Go to a different office.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Being a "miserable government employee" myself, I would agree with Stoker. State employees tend to be even worse than us county employees. If this woman can't produce the paperwork, try a different office. The new bill was supposed to make it easier to get a good title, not harder.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Go to the DMV at Greentree plaza(corner of Airport and Immokalee Road) that's were I did mine. In and out within an hour. Nice Gals up there. Good Luck

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
It's a moot point right now since there's no approved license plate and without the plate you can't register under the new bill...

HTH...
Mark

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
In Palm Beach County non of the builders have had to provide a certificate of road worthness.
I only had to bring in my mco and a bill of sale.
That was before the bill and I got titled as a 1965 Replica Roadster. Now with the new bill it should be even easier. Try another DMV and bring a copy of the new law with you for registering kit cars that replicate an early model car.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Go to another office, a county office, MCO, bill of sale, proof of insurance. Take whatever "classification" they want to give you, at the end of the day that matters much less than getting it on the road. The only thing consistent with these people is their inconsistency.

It became clear to me when I registered mine (Clay County) that I didn't even need to have the car finished, no one needed or wanted to see it. All they really needed to see was your willingness to pay the tax on the bill of sale. It was the simplest part of the entire "I'm going to build a car" ordeal.

Good luck

All the best, Don

·
Charter Member
1,098 Posts
This is from our latest DSCC newsletter.
Effective July 1, Florida has change the titlerequirements for custom vehicles and streetrods. Florida Statute 320.0863 http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0320/SEC0863.HTM&Title=-%3E2007-%3ECh0320-%3ESection%200863 (Custom vehiclesand street rods, registration and license plates)now allows Cobra owners to title their Cobrasas the year vehicle they represent. Click here for details.
To summarize owners must provide the following:
1. License tax prescribed by s.320.08(2)(a) and aprocessing fee of $3.00
2. A written statement that the vehicle will notbe used for general daily transportation butwill be maintained for occasionaltransportation, exhibition, club activities,parades, tours, or other functions of publicinterest and similar uses.
3. A written statement that the vehicle meetsstate equipment and safety requirements formotor vehicles. However, the vehicle mustmeet only the requirements that were ineffect in this state as a condition of sale inthe year listed as the model year on thecertificate of title.
4. The registration numbers and special licenseplates assigned to such vehicles shall run in aseparate series, commencing with “CustomVehicle1” or “Street Rod 1” respectively, andthe plates shall be of a distinguishing colorand design.
5. A vehicle registered under this section isexempt from any law or local ordinance thatrequires periodic vehicle inspections or theuse and inspection of emission controls.
Act will take effect July 1, 2007
Approved by Governor June 19th, 2007

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Good post RD. That will get bookmarked. Just print that out and bring it to the office. Should be cake.

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cobra Steve- that is the office of the DMV that I am at.

Mustang Man- even more confusion, DMV said they would register it under the new law and then when available, if I wanted they would issue me the special plate.

I am going to visit with them again on Monday, I will give you all an update after Monday.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Let me know if they do it mes, because when I was at the DMV office for specially constructed/salvage title inspections (for our '32 Ford project last month) I asked about the new street rod/custom built law and they absolutley said no registrations under the new law until a plate is in the system and their computers are upgraded to show the new registration option...

Mark

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE-

I finally heard back from the nice lady at my local DMV. She still insisted I would have to go to Plantation for a full inspection. What is amazing is if I import a car from overseas they will come down to Naples and inspect it, but if I build a car with American parts I have to go to them. Doesn't seam quite right. In the end I called the people at the state inspections office and they said I did not need an inspection since the car came with a VIN #. I then relayed this info to my new friend at the DMV, contacted another friend that I bought my donor from and he is signing a bill of sale just on the drive train and engine. Then with this bill of sale with the engine serial # on it and I sign the affidavit of roadworthyness they will register it. Mustang Man she still insists that to fall into the new Hotrod category the car has to be purchased as a finished car and not built by you personally. If you own your own auto shop then that will be easy . Lesson learned investigate everything and come with more info then you need .

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Mes...

If I were you I'd contact the SEMA Action Network (SAN) and explain your problem with titling and the new bill. You should not have to be a licensed shop to use that bill for titling...

HTH...
Mark

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mustang Man,
I have sent an email to SAN explaining what has happened, I will let you know what I find out/ what they tell me. Thanks for your help,

Mark Smith
Naples, Florida

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Mark...that doesn't make sense. It doesn't state that you had to purchase the vehicle fully completed and that it can't be homebuilt in that law.

I would also find the sponsor of the original bill and send them an email with your details..then call a few days later to follow-up. I can't imagine that's the intention of the law and nowhere does it specifically state that a home built car doesn't apply.

Vague laws suck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.