Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kenne Bell that leaves almost no room for an intake tube (other that 2 60 degree plumbing tubes) to come straight off the TB, leaving the filter to suck hot air from the area just above the headers.

Has anyone ever heard of an ABS like tubing that is formable in hot water? I remember as a kid we used to buy these cool hockey stick blades that were made from white plastic. You could put them under the tap and make a wicked hook on your blade - awesome for road hockey slapshots but illegal on the rink.

I am looking for a tubing material 70mm in diameter that has these flexible properties so I can run it to my oil cooler area at the front.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS - now there's a product idea.

·
7,716 Posts
How about a flexible metal tube? I am using a HVAC flex tube that I bought at Home Depot for my foot box vents. It is not smooth inside and will probably have some turbulent air, but it will get your air filter into the spot you want.

Ray

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ray,

Thought about that, and actually tried the stuff, but it will need to be more airtight since the MAF is part of my air filter. (ProM 80MM)

If any air comes into that flexxible metal tubing upstream of the MAF, then I start running lean and pop it.

Thanks for the idea though. Its a good one.

·
21 Posts
Calgary FFR Fan,

There's a type of ducting used in aircraft building for moving fresh and heated air. It's made with a spiral wire form covered with fiberglas mat, then impregnated with either neoprene or silicone rubber. I'm almost certain the rubber makes it airtight (call Aircraft Spruce to be sure). It's very tough stuff and withstands temperature extremes. It comes in diameters from 5/8" to 6", sold by the foot. Should be cheaper than Pegasus for the length you need, and they carry more sizes.

These first two are unlined:

CAT: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cat.php
SCAT: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/scat.php

The next two versions have a fabric liner that smooths airflow, reducing internal turbulence:

CEET: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ceet.php
SCEET: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sceet.php

If this stuff is too pricey, you could still use the flexible HVAC ducting. Bend it to the shape you want, then spray a few coats of rubberized paint on it to make it airtight.

Cheers,

-Eric

·
Senior Charter Member
3,086 Posts
I have some 3", 4" and 5" of the tubing that Mike shows. Most places make you buy a ton. Anybody, PM me if you need some, I would love to clear some of it out of my garage.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
Calgary FFR Fan,

I have seen electricians use a machine where PVC conduit is put in a tube that heats the conduit for about an 18" length. When the conduit is taken out of the heat section it can be formed (bent) into most any curve without buckling in the bend. In a minute or two it cools and stays in the new shape. I'm talking about 3" and 4" diameter conduit.

That might be something to look into, or try on your own.

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
If you go to a heavy equipment parts store (Fort Garry ind.)etc. they should be able to look in the catologues and come up with a silicone hose that will work for you. Silicone hose is used on the intakes of all diesels that have turbos so it will work for your application.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Glen:
Try Norwesco industries in Calgary 258-3883
I have inquired into hi-temp flex for my foot boxes , and they have some there. they may
have a size that works for you

Martin

·
Registered
95 Posts
Glen if you can find a HVAC supplier ask for wire mould flex it is the hose used for dust collectors very heavy duty and air tight
Cheers Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.