Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone of our experts know how to make a Red LED third brake flash several times then go to a solid red color?

Roy from Springboro

·
HighTech *******
624 Posts
If I wanted to start from scratch, I'd start with a 555 timer and a binary counter. Then you could use an AND gate to catch the 1 and 2 bits off the counter and use a latching IC with reset to handle the rest.

-Kyle

·
Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
Yup

That's it . . . what Kyle said.

Doc :beerchug:

·
Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
A bit over the top - the ISIS wiring system lets you program the behavior. I've been thinking of doing exactly that - flash twice rapidly and then solid on.

I'm just not too sure what DOT and local law says about it - turn signals, no problem, brakes? I do remember a kit in the day that flashed brake lights in direct relationship to deceleration. Seemed nobody complained about it, lack of interest put them out of business.

Stop and go traffic in Branson might annoy the driver behind you a bit, but I agree the edge for a small, low to the ground sportscar in traffic is needed. SUV's and F150's aren't getting any smaller, it's half the traffic here.

I think the issue will pivot on if the flashing is interpreted as signalling an emergency vehicle. I'd avoid any pattern that suggests it - and our interpretation isn't the one that matters. It's the officer who has the first say.

I'd be quite happy to get stopped for that one - means the Coupe was bought and finished . . .

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered the United Pacific model from Summit Racing today, $13.95 plus shipping. Hope it works on my FFR Roadster, as I have been rear ended in my daily driver twice in the last year. Both times while stopped at a stop light.

What can I say - teenage drivers paying attention to their phones instead of traffic.

Thanks all for your comments.

Roy from Springboro

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Twice in one year??? Man, if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'm gonna be checking my rearview, for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Here is a brake light flashing module.

Brake Light Strobe Module | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

I have this one wired up to the high brake light on my PU.

Brake Light Strobe Module | Strobe Modules & Bulbs | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

It's not legal here in lotus land. Regulations state that ALL brake lights must be a steady light.

4 ways however can flash and here is a video I posted earlier showing the 4ways flasher installed on my FFR.

Sorry for the music ....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have a Motorcycle 3rd brake light that is programmable for solid or flash. I know that when I had it on flash and was stopped at a light AT NIGHT the people behind me hated it. I received many complaints. On steady was no problem.

HTH

Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.