Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on having 2 tie-rod end adjustment tubes made up and am not sure what the thread size is on the rack ends. I think the outer tie-rods are 5/8-18, but the rack end is slightly smaller. Seems to be about 9/16-18, but I want to be really sure before proceeding. Can anyone help me here?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Matty,

I am a little slow on the uptake but I'm trying to picture what you are talking about on the diff between the tie-rods and the rack end. I picture them one in the same. I could very well be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

I bought a FR 15:1 rack from Forte and also picked up his bump steer kit. The bump steer kit provided all, I mean every thing, that I needed to tie in the front end. Forte's kit has the tapered bushing (no drilling) installed on my SN95 spindles. I might have a different set up than you but I can send some pics if you want. PM me if you'd like some.

Mike M.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I went out and measured, I was measuring an FR rack from a spec racer and the heims from the bump steer kit. I believe both are the same size as their stock counterparts. The outer tie rod is 5/8"-18 and the inner tie rod is 9/16"-18 as checked with a thread gauge.

Leonard

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
YOu know that the stock tie rod arms allow adjustment without removal? Just take the outer boot clamp off and loosen the lock nut and spin away.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Confirmed with Flaming River, the rack ends are 9/16-18, and the outer tie-rods are 5/8-18. I'm using Forte's B.S. kit that includes outer t.rods that are about 3 1/2" from the cr. of the ball to the end of the threaded part. That may work fine with pin drive, but I'm not running pin drive, and the adjustment tubes at 3 3/4" are too short. They fit, but don't allow for enough thread to be safe. I need adjustment tubes that are at least an inch longer. The only choice is to turf the Forte B.steer tie-rod ends and go back to the stock longer ones, or get longer tubes.
I've tried everywhere to buy the longer tubes (5/8-18 RH, 9/16-18 LH x 5") without success, so will have to have some made: - unless someone has a better solution. Another day in the life of...

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Matty,
I have 10 pair of 1/2 inch longer sleeves being made now. I hope you can wait a bit for them. I hope to see them within the week.
Mike Forte

1 - 6 of 6 Posts