Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pass side pipe rattles, so I did a search and found the instructions.

I bought a 2 inch self drilling screw and saw that I'm supposed to put it about 2 inches past the weld on the underside of the pipe.

I couldn't find a stainless one long enough. Can I use the regular one for a while?

Stainless is suggested so it won't rust...right? It's not because of the heat screwing up the screw, is it?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,078 Posts
Dan,
Funny, I too am fixing my side pipe rattle @ buddies house in 'bout an hr. from now. Will let you know how fix turns out. I'm using ss 1 1/2" hex-head screw? Maybe I need 2" screw? SS probably lasts longer?

Butch

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,600 Posts
I dont see a problem with it. It will rust over what may be a very long time. Replace it once you find a stainless.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
I had a non stainless lag bolt in for 4 yrs with no problems. When I pulled it out it looked good as new. We don't see a whole lot of road salt or rain in these cars.
Also don't worry about placement of the screws anywhere after the weld will catch the inner tube of the glass pack which is all you need to do to stop the rattle.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was outside hitting the pipe gently with a rubber mallet. It seems to rattle when I get close to the weld at the end of the sidepipe...not at the end near where the pipes exit the body.

What would you do?

One on each end or start with one near the end of the pipe and see if that does the trick?

Is this the type of screw you guys are using, or did you actually drill & tap for a machine screw?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Anything will work. After cutting the pipes apart it was clear that just the inner tube is tack welded to the outer and not done real well. Virtually any screw that you stick in will work

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Fixing mine is on the list as well.

A smart guy told me that on some the screws will catch the interior pipe and pull it down, others will push it across to the the other side. Either works as it won't let it vibrate.

I thought it was 2" in from the weld at the open end.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,078 Posts
Just got done putting 2" self-tapping ss screws in sidepipes about 3" back of front welds. Works great!
HTH
Butch

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just finished.

Finally, an easy project that's really easy. Hope the sky clears up tomorrow so I can test it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts