Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I knew better, I tried to carefully pry my nice cobra center cap off of the steering wheel. The aluminium that the cap is made out of is as soft as butter and I put three nice gouges in it. Of course they were in perfect site every time I drove the car and what is worse, the reflection off the wheel made them look twice as long!

I took the project on today and it was worth the 30 or so minutes it took to get them out. I used 1000 grit wet sand paper, super fine steel wool, followed by metal polish. The gouges are 95% gone and while I had the center cap off I drilled a hole above the seal to help break the vacuum that makes it a pain to take these things off in the first place.

[ March 10, 2007, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: TNCobra ]

·
Junior Charter Member
199 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Good idea.
Cheers,
Mark

·
Senior Charter Member
130 Posts
After installing and removing my steering wheel several times I hacked my center cap and wheel badly! I posted this confession on here last week. The good news is I also was able to polish them both out so they look as good or better than new. I started by grinding with 80 grit, then sanded and polished my way up to 600 grit, then finished with buffing compound and cloth wheel. They came out great. Now to keep them that way.
No more removing the cap with a screwdriver!
Best Regards, a Thanks for the help, Phil

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
I polished a lot of the pieces on my car as well. Like Flip, I start with 80 grit and work my way up. Starting with 1000 grit will take way too long.

Also, normally I sand in opposite directions as I move up each grit. This way it is easier to see when you have removed all the scratches from the previous grit. That tip would be hard to follow on an edge this small but will work on any larger surfaces.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Dropped mine (didn't have the O-ring in yet and forgot when I pulled the wheel) so I had a friend chuck it in his lathe, turn it down a hair, and then I polished it back to the original shine. Looks great! Now it's not going on the wheel until the car is done! (I had laid it in place for a photo)...

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts