Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few threads which state that it's best to leave the dash loose until the body is put on the car, but I still want to try get the dash at least temporarily fitted prior to the body. I have the dash pretty much exactly where I want it in relation to the steering opening, parallel with the lower 2"x2" tube, etc. I'd love to move the dash up just a little bit more but the trim ring from the speedo gauge hits the dash hoop.

I like the dash exactly where it is now but the hoop is higher than the dash itself in the middle, as much as 3/8". Is this normal, and will the gap be covered by the MkIV body?

Thanks,
George

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've been told that you want to see 3/16" of the hoop visible at the corners of the dash

Reactions: George905

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I read that in the instructions which states "The corners of the dash support tube are 3/16” below the top edge of the dash"...which I already have. The problem is that the top of the dash is obviously below the hoop as viewed in my photographs. After posting this, I actually saw on your thread that your dash top was also a little lower that the dash hoop, just not as much as mine, as seen here: https://www.ffcars.com/attachments/20200124_152517-jpg.357070/

I'm fine with this as long as it's normal and will be covered by the body.

·
Not a waxer
11,817 Posts
...the hoop is higher than the dash itself in the middle, as much as 3/8". Is this normal, and will the gap be covered by the MkIV body?
Yes and yes.

Jeff

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Jeff!

·
Registered
749 Posts
As you probably realized, the manual is wrong. To have the frame below the dash, there is not clearance for the left most gauge without interference from the frame

·
Registered
153 Posts
May I ask why the curve of the dash is that much different than the support hoop?

Curious and I have to build a dash.

Jim

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,912 Posts
I suspect that it boils down to their ability to bend that square tube accurately. OTOH, I've seen enough threads like this to realize they seem to be able to bend 100s of those tubes and make them all the same even if they don't match the dash. So, I dunno...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier for them to laser cut the dash to match the hoop? Do older generation frames have slightly different dimensions that fit the dash better?

·
Not a waxer
11,817 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier for them to laser cut the dash to match the hoop? Do older generation frames have slightly different dimensions that fit the dash better?
My observation is that there is some variation to the hoops. The Mk3 and Mk4 dash is identical; Mk1 and 2 are the same shape as the 3 and 4 however the steering shaft hole is in a different place. Simply mock it up by dropping the body on without the dash, mark the bottom lip of the cowl along the bent tube then pull the body off and position the dash so that the line is hidden.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts