Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted before, but I've finally run into a dilemma that needs additional help. Some time back, I purchased my front brakes from Wilwood, they're the 6 piston Superlites (140-9107). I've wanted the Halibrand style wheels, but after researching the combination some, it looks like there will be interference. The calipers on this set are 1.5" from the hub, and from what i've been able to find the halibrand style only gives around 3/4"of clearance(let me know if that's incorrect). Now that i'm in this mess I also see Levy makes a set of brakes that do fit, but I'd prefer to not repurchase the brakes. So the options I can see are:

1. Space the wheels out. Team III makes a 17x8 that as an extra 1/4" of offset too, so would only stick out another 1/2". My biggest concern is hitting bodywork, has anyone spaced wheels out this far?

2. Get modern wheels. Generally these seem to have a lot more brake clearance, again not sure if they clear 1.5". The levy ones are pretty nice though.

3. Modify the brakes. Since there is a kit that fits the wheels, there must be a way to make them fit. I would guess it requires buying the whole kit.

Basicially I'm looking for any info on what has been done to work around this problem, or even what other wheels fit.

Attachments

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
That kit won't fit without a 7/16" wheel spacer. I have a 6 piston superlite kit specifically designed to go with the Halibrand replica wheels.
I designed my wheels to fit the biggest of calipers, that might be your easiest and most cost effective choice.

·
Registered
597 Posts
See if Levy or Wilwood stocks a different hat offset... You will just have to be careful that the rotor doesn't rub the spindle or steering arm. We have a shop car with modified Wilwood 6 Superlites in 15" but that's a lot of work that you don't really want to get in to.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
It takes far more than a different hat. There is not a single part that is the same between the 9107 kit and my high clearance front kit.
I have a 6 piston kit that fits under 15" pin drive. We developed it about 2.5 years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for all the responses. 7/16" is a pretty good spacer, I have to assume it would be running into interference with bodywork at that point. The wheels certainly seem like the simplest and cheapest way to go. Looks like there could be another option too, thanks!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
That will be a hand full!! I can see why you are so concerned about brakes! Smart man
Some of the rubber on the rear tires has already "left the building" in anticipation! Good luck with your build. Gordon and/or Richard Oben will set you straight on your brakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.