Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the car out for four days on three tracks, and all I can say is "DAMN!!!" I am converted.

MY set-up:
331 CI, roller cam, air gap manifold, Carter 7psi elec pump at tank
412 HP at crank on a dyno
Carter 7 PSI elec feul pump back by tank
FITECH 600HP and Fuel Commander
RCI aluminum fuel cell with foam internal blocks for fuel slosh control

I was recommended to use the fuel commander since I am on track more than the street. As promised, It always had a ready supply of fuel pressure, never missed a beat. I did try to work with some of the adjustable parameters, made some small improvements.

I gave it the real hard test at Watkins Glen the last two days, high speed, hard corners, never faltered. And easy to start!

Some additional observations:
It pulls alot of elec power. Make sure your electrical system and alternator output is good and have capacity
With the proper mixture, no longer padded by a "fat" carb, the engine made more oil temperature as it was working better and harder. For the track, an oil cooler is a MUST.
Still pay attention to your fuel tank and fuel slosh. It helps keep the FITECH full of fuel.

And, under my air cleaner assembly, you cannot even tell I am running FI!

So nice not to curse a carburetor!

Dan

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, ran it on:

Summit Point Main
NJMP Thunderbolt
Watkins Glen

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
Great review.
Been thinking of this for my 65 Mustang project, but I think I'm going to start off with the carb since I already have it and budget it already way over.

Do you think you got more laps out of a tank of fuel or are your track sessions not really long enough to have to stop for fuel?

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think you got more laps out of a tank of fuel or are your track sessions not really long enough to have to stop for fuel?
Without a doubt better mileage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm waiting for my 331 to get back from the builder. I also bought the Fitech 600(Go Efi 4) with no Commander pump. I can't wait to get it installed. How did you run your oxygen sensor. Was it to the rear pipe on one of the headers or did you run it to the side pipes?

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm waiting for my 331 to get back from the builder. I also bought the Fitech 600(Go Efi 4) with no Commander pump. I can't wait to get it installed. How did you run your oxygen sensor. Was it to the rear pipe on one of the headers or did you run it to the side pipes?
Pipe #3 as close to the collector as possible

·
Banned
258 Posts
Dan
Did you look at any of the others system, Fast or edelbrock? Fitech sounds good. Any make sure to look for this or that, you can recommend? I am running a procharger with a plenum box and a 750 Holly. I have been thinking replacing the carb with one of these system.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dan
Did you look at any of the others system, Fast or edelbrock? Fitech sounds good. Any make sure to look for this or that, you can recommend? I am running a procharger with a plenum box and a 750 Holly. I have been thinking replacing the carb with one of these system.
They are boost capable, but I would talk with their techs on boosted apps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts