Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First pass down thw track so excited I know I never looked at the tach; hit rev limiter twice ran a 14.00. Second trip I don't think I looked at the track just the tach. Took a 98 Viper 12.92 pass to Vipers 12.98. Next pass lost to a Camero SS running a 13.26 with a 14.73 (missed 3rd, BIG TIME). Last trip down the track took a Lotus V8 Turbo: Definately my best driving 12.84 to Lotus's 13.82.

I think my car is up to it I just need to learn how to drive. Car spun a bit coming off the line but all cars had to run dot tires. Iwas running 255/45/17 Bridgestone RE 71's on all four wheels. Don't have trap times or 60ft I don't know if they measured or just not give them out. Met Ron Roth there and we talked cars of course.

Most suprising car there was a rusted out Volvo 260 Turbo Wagon automatic looked like shit with broken tail light dents and all interior riped to shit. A bunch of trash in the back covered the NOS but under the hood was so filthy you couldn't even see the NOS lines. Two twin turbo RX-7's in the Power 6 class fell to this car running 13.8s on 195/70/15 Michlen MXV4 tires. This car had for sale $1,200 painted on windows. But when inquired it wasn't for sale what a sleeper.

There was also a 1991 5sp Galant VR-4 factory turbo (big intercooler)with NOS that ran 4 passes at between 12.04 and 12.48.

Everyone loved seeing the Roadsters run. I need a tach with a shift light and some bigger back tires if I want to continue at this endevor and I do, what fun.

Fastest car there was a blown automatic 95 Mustang driven by a good looking lady. Ran mid 11's. The only other 11 was run by a 2002 Ford Lightning running on NOS. He only made one NOS pass when he lined up against the Lotus Turbo and yes he won!
Cheers
Doug

[ September 29, 2002, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Doug Dunkerley ]

·
Registered
289 Posts
Doug, what did you need for yourself and the car to run 12.8's? I am going to Maple Grove Raceway on Oct. 5th to try to run if they let me! I asked somebody in tech this summer, and they told me all I need is a helmet to run 14.00 and slower. 13.99 and faster they said I am considered an open cockpit car and need a helmet, fire jacket, arm restraints, and the roll bar needs to come down inside the cockpit! But, if I had a convertible top for the car it then is considered a convertible and all I would need is the helmet! Go figure! Just curious to see what you needed out there in your area!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They weren't too fussy. All I needed was a helmet if you ran under 14s whether the car was open or a coupe. One of my son's freind showed me a video on my last run at night. Last run was about midnight light fog and 50 Degrees (good weather to make horsepower. Where's a good place to buy some 17x10.5 rims?
I DON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU TO HAVE FUN!

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Sounds like you had some fun. I bought a g-tech and its really cool to try different launches to see the 0-60 times. I could knock off 1/2 second with just different RPM launches.

I guess drag racing takes a lot of practice. Looks like a lot of fun, I'll have to try it in the Cobra!

- Bill

[ September 30, 2002, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Bill ]

·
Charter Member
423 Posts
Doug,
Good to meet you!! Well guys for my time, I raced a guy in a big block LeMans with Slicks, you could hear that it was built He took me by about a car length, but we both red lighted. My car is bone stock, and this was my first run down asphalt with timing devices. This was on my only run :mad: No excuses, I was a bundle of nerves, and I spun the tires big time. Took too looong to get organized for the second run, which I didn't make. Stuck around till about 8:00 and had to leave. I think they could have done without the fire company hoseing down the burnout area, toooo much water and combinded with the mud and grass we parked in made it pretty slippy. I don't think water burnouts are needed for street rubber. It was a blast though. I think every law enforcement guy at the event came over and asked about the car, lots of interest from the kids there too. The event was way bigger than they expected, I think they were overwhelmed for a first time event. Anyhow, great times Doug! I'm going to go to Keystone to practice my launches, Thursday evenings is test and tune for $10.00! HA! A Rusted out Volvo wagon on happy gas, the ultimate sleeper :eek: Can't wait to do it again.
Practice, Practice, Practice!!!!

Ron

[ September 30, 2002, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Ron Roth ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Doug, Great runs. What's your setup (engine, trans, rear-gears)? Sounds very much like my first visit to the drags a couple of weeks ago complete with the whole over-revving part! It is a lot of fun.

-Matt

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Originally posted by Doug Dunkerley:
Last trip down the track took a Lotus V8 Turbo: Definately my best driving 12.84 to Lotus's 13.82.
Ouch. Our other car is a '95 Esprit S4s. While not drag racing machines at all, the Lotus V8 should run 12s. Even the late 4cyl cars are good for 13.0. The fragility of the transaxle tends to temper aggression at the strip for anyone who actually owns the car (ie: is not a journalist getting numbers for a magazine).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt,
As Ron said we had to park in grass that had been soaked by 2 days of rain. By the end of the night it was a muddy mess. I'm not quite sure why they were hosing down the area with water just before the lights maybe to help keep the speeds down. I know the traction was better on the side away from the hose, it wasn't as wet but still not great. I played around on a closed highway this afternoon and was definately able to get better launches there with very little spin. My set up looks to be like yours. Junk yard 302 Mountaineer (884 miles) so close to new. It has the gt40p heads that I cleaned up the ports a little. 190lb bbk fuel pump, 3.73 IRS Locker new from Mike Forte, MSD AL6, 24lb ford injectors, march underdrive pullies, E303 cam, Crane 1.7 roller rockers, 70mm MAC throttle body, 75mm pro-m mass air, Ford King Cobra clutch, and the 255/17 Tires, 13" 4 piston front brakes and whatever T-Bird disks are in the back (car stops great, in a strait line with no squeal). That may be more info than what you asked for but that's about as complete as I can guess. What all will one of those g-tech things tell you? I have access to about 1 mile of close 4 lane that was made about 2 years ago and never opened.

The guy in the lotus I think knew about as much as I did about drag racing, not much. The 13.82? was his best run of the night. He looked awful young to me, to have made enough money in his life to afford that beautiful car.

Read the post again. Donar T5 with about 65K on it. And Viper blue with pearl white stripes.

[ September 30, 2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Doug Dunkerley ]

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Originally posted by Max Thompson:
I dont think that those S4's can make 13 flat in the quarter, they do 0-60 in 5+. :confused:
July (?) 1995 Car & Driver test of Esprit S4s (300hp, 2950lb): [email protected], 4.4 0-60. They didn't much like the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.