Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine goes to Watkins Glen in a month, driving it as much as possible now to get a feel for the car, work out any remaining bugs. I will be using 17" Rims & Tires.

I'd like your experiences of the first time you brought the car up to competition speeds, and your track experineces. I have tons of seat time in Vintage Trans-Am & Prepared Street car, as well as Formula Ford at Bertil Roos, but the power and short-wheelbase "twitchiness" of these snakes will have me driving like a grandma at the beginning of the first session as I get used to the car.

Don't hold back, good or bad. Also, after your sessions, what did you do to improve the car?

Many Thanks!

·
12,637 Posts
When Jeff Collins and I sponsored "Snakes Amoung Us" at Carolina Motor Sports Park, A friend of mine, said it was "better than sex as I remember it"

My two open track events at VIR that I particpated in, I said were the most fun I ever had with my clothes on.

Hope this is what you are looking for.... Its been so long that i dont remember much technical about preparing the car...... just that lingering MEMORY of driving the pure [email protected] out of 2362 and then doing it some more.

CobraEarl

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
first time was at laguna seca in 2000 with the car nearly stock, 4 link, rear drums, race rubber. it was *very* twitchy and the brakes were good for only 1 lap. even with a stock motor it was very fast.

put on almost 1000 autocross runs since then and many thousands of dollars of parts. biggest benefits: IRS retrofit, doubled the spring rate, koni 3012 shocks, power steering.

have fun and consider arm restraints!

james

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,617 Posts
Just like running any car at the track, you want to use your head and creep up to speed. Compaired to a Vintage TA or BP cars, these cars are a bit unruley. Little adjustments go a really long way.
Things to remember about these cars. Tire pressures are critical. 2psi up of down is going to cost you time and make the car hard to handle. Alignment angles are also critical. The other thing as that a 90" wheel base car reacts extremely quickly and corrections have to be done quickly. You will discover this as you speed picks up.
Have fun and be safe.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
I had my first experiance just about a week ago. I've had very little seat time in this car, less than 400 miles.

I found the car to be very easy to drive, well mannered, predictable, and stable. Just like anything else, start low go slow. I was quickly up to speed and outrunning a lot of other cars that should have been faster.

You have a lot of track and seat time, so it will be easy. Have fun.

·
5,206 Posts
Make sure you have a good instructor. Get one that instructs instead of spending the time yelling.

If you and your instructor do not see eye to eye ask for another. Wish I knew that when.

Mike

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Did you ever do down hill skiing in the snow? First time out was like first time down hill, not sure of your turns, can I stop? Your friends say, "'cum on this way"..."Down there! Haaaaah!".

BTW-Willow Springs Raceway has a cool hill, pretty steep too. Yep, I missed the apex tried to correct to quickly and spun. Spinning on the flat is one thing, spinning on an angle is weird. :rolleyes:

Just take your time going out to line up, that way your at the back. Don't worry they will lap you..so what..this way you can get a feel for the track, a few laps without traffic. By the end of the day, just when you get confident to chase the others, it's getting fun, the track will close and you'll be bummed. But, ready to do it again real soon. ;)

It's fun, and this is what these cars were made for. Right? :D
:D ...........

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Rip,
I saw you do the spin at WS. I was looking at your car way up there from the Start/Finish line. What fun? Thanks for the rides that day.

-Kouros

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I was right behind Rip when he spun at Las Vegas last november. He was running street tires and I was very surprised how easy he broke loose. I was running race tires which make a tremendous difference. I think what really helped me with my first open track event was autocrossing first. You get to know you car pretty well before you go out and run at high speeds.

Dick

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,709 Posts
Do whatever you can to bias the car toward understeer. Your 3 link will be quite helpful in providing stability.As your speed picks up pick a few slower simple turns to really try hard in and leave the higher speed ones for next time.
Be careful,have fun and forget lap times.

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
Come to Englishtown on Saturday and auto-x it with me so I won't be the only newbie with an FFR there :D

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ted,

I would, except that is the day I start my vacation in LBI! Otherwise, I would!

·
Registered
66 Posts
My first experience was at PIR in Phoenix. That track and my cobra(660hp) were way over my head. The cobra had understeer dialed in and I always braked way early. That kept me out of trouble. Then Gordon drove the cobra with me in it, that was scary. He was smooth and in control, but way faster then me. I new there was another level out there in my cobra. Brake early and be smooth with the throttle, you should be ok and have fun. Scott

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
Dan, you can't get the keys until 3:00 anyway, and you'll be stuck in traffic all the way down. Come to the auto-x, then cruise down to LBI late afternoon and miss all the traffic

1 - 14 of 14 Posts