Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Big day yesterday, got her started for the first time. Thanks to friends Mark and Harry for the assist. Also a big thank you to Mike Forte and his guys for getting me over a glitch and the great customer service on a weekend. If your considering dealing with Mike, do it. You won't be sorry.

My only issue is a cooling fan that won't come on. I believe I've traced it to the temp sensor in the water neck because if I ground it, the fan kicks in. Is there any other way to test it to verify, or should I just replace it? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
My only issue is a cooling fan that won't come on. I believe I've traced it to the temp sensor in the water neck because if I ground it, the fan kicks in. Is there any other way to test it to verify, or should I just replace it? Any thoughts?
John
Such a g:)reat feeling to hear it run the first time!

Did you use Teflon tape or paste, on the sending unit? May be preventing a good ground. You should use a dedicated thread sealant, rather than tape, as you will still get a ground contact.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au..._Permatex_High_Temperature_Thread_Sealant.htm

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AC, I used a little ultra grey around the top of the threads.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Sweet! Sounds great! Another milestone reached!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, it sounded even better in person. It is a Powerjection III on a 306. I put the o2 in the #4 header. It's barely visible under #3 and the computer gave me a green light on it, so I'll let it ride and see how it goes.

·
Not a waxer
12,098 Posts
Congratulations John!

I had the same thought as Bill RE: your temp switch possibly not being well grounded. Rig up a jumper wire with spring clips on both ends and connect one to a good ground and the other to the switch housing. If that gets you working pull the switch, clean off the Ultra Gray silicone and reinstall it with a small amount of good ol' teflon paste.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
Are you sure your engine got hot enough to make the sensor ground? You can check the sensor much like you do a thermostat. Put the probe in water on a stove with some kind of holding fixture, i.e. long needle nose pliers. You can also put a thermometer in the pan to keep track of water temperature. Hook up an ohm meter between the body of the sensor and the insulated contact. The reading should go to near zero ohms when it reaches its closing temperature. The closing temperature is probably stamped on the sensor someplace. An easy way to verify ground while the sensor is in the car is to use an ohm meter between the base of the sensor and the manifold or whatever the sensor is mounted in, ohms should be near 0. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, she got hot enough, the tenp gauge and the Powerjection Temp sensor both climbed up well over 200, so I'm sure it should have kicked off. We bypassed and grounded to the block and the fan came on, making me think it's something with the sensor, but I'm open to everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.