Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am finally ready to start the engine, it got a complete rebuild after removal from the '89 donor. It was turning over but no spark. I measured 12 volts from the coil, but no sparks across the distributer. My best guess is a bad ground. Please let me know how you routed your grounds on a 302 what you attached them to on the block and what wire gauge you used. Also, please let me know what else might cause this.

On a more positive note, many things went right. The oil flowed well when I primed the motor. I had good fuel pressure, that I got to experience first hand when an injector O-ring was bad (easily fixed). The engine harness seemed to work well, the chassis harness is not yet installed. And best of all, after fixing the O-ring, I did not see any leaks.

So overall a good weekend, just need to get it to start.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Did you put the rotor in the distributor?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
dbl. post.............................

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
The coil gets 12-volts as soon as you turn the key to on, it's the TFI module that controls the ground of the coil (build time for the spark)...

If you put the test light in the neg side of the coil connector and crank the engine the light should pulse. If it does not you are not getting anything from the ignition module. Ensure you have a good block to chassis ground and ensure you have the distributor grounded (no paint on the block where the distributor sits)...

HTH...
Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, yes there is a rotor in the distributor.

Mark, I will test the connector to the coil tomorrow. You might have something with the distributor ground, I will remove the paint in that area.

Thanks again.

Todd

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I ran a negative battery cable from the rear of the block (there's a threaded hole at the pass side rear by the PCV valve) and attached the other end to the square tubing above the bellhousing.

Make sure you have the computer grounded too. The computer ground on my harness is over by the master cylinder (93 harness).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts