Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello FFR Roadster Forum,

I am getting ready for my first engine start this weekend and I am pretty nervous. I have a majority of the wiring complete (minus headlights, Heater, radio, horn etc.) Does anyone have any advice (or horror stories)about starting the engine for the first time. I have a complete pre-built dyno tested Ford 302 engine. Theoretically it should just start up with no problem. But it is a potential expensive mistake if I screw this up. Any opinions would be appreciated. I want to get the car running before it gets too cold in PA. I then need to start on the body work to get it ready by spring.

Thanks so much
Kevin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check your firing order, spray some fuel in the carb , have a fire extinguisher handy just in case , film it and enjoy, this will be a great accomplishment if all goes well. good luck.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,129 Posts
Make sure you have oil. Also wouldn't hurt to spin the oil pump with a drill, just to make sure you have oil pressure at the first start. Enjoy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
X2 on Radar Pete's advice. Be aware that most (if not all) Ford engine oil pumps run counter-clockwise, so your drill will need to be run in reverse.:001_tongue:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Pull it out of the garage in case there is a fire or spill, and take pics/video.

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
When do you want to do it? I can stop by and look over everything before you hit the switch?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Don't touch a thing! If it was dynoed and broken in and the distributor was set and never disturbed just prime the carb and fire it. Of course you have coolant, your in neutral, your wheels are chocked vacuum hoses/ports are connected or capped off fuel lines connections are tight, throttle has the springs connected. If the dist. was removed , you'll have to reinstall it and get the timing correct. Good Luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Extinguisher near by. Flashlight to look for leaks. Agree leave it alone if its been dyno tuned. Coolant, fuel & oil then turn it on.

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Thanks to JoeE

Big thanks goes out to JoeE who came over to my house to help out with my first start of MK4 8553. Joe's knowledge really helped out. The wiring harness is not pretty but we got the motor started and figured out some minor issues. Should be able to move it up my driveway by next weekend.

Thanks again Joe!

Christmas came early this year for me.

·
Baghdad Bob
866 Posts
My engine is also a ford 302 based stroker, (331) it is factory built engine and they already a dyno and a leak test so I was pretty confident that it would be good. i primarily wanted to see if there were any coolant leaks. I connected the ignition, starter up to a couple switches, and wired the fan and the elec choke.

It cranked for about 5 secons and fired right up. I have run it a fermore times to let it warm up and check for leaks etc.

No issues! sound great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts