Factory Five Racing Forum banner

681 - 696 of 696 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #681 ·
Went on my first longer drive today. A few observations from someone who's never driven a convertible...
1) wind wants to pull up my left t shirt sleeve. Will need extra sunscreen on the left deltoid
2) back sweat is real. Maybe it'll be better once I seal off the engine bay heat coming in around the footbox walls, but feels like a hair dryer blowing on my left leg. I'll need a change of clothes if I decide driving this thing to work on account of the back sweat and gasoline smell on my clothes
3) will also need extra hold hair gel if driving this to work. Or maybe I'll just bring a gym bag and shower after I get to work. First world problems either way

So far, so good. No leaks. A bit of DS suspension squeak that I how will get better as things settle in. Ride height did drop about a1/4" in front after the first 100 miles. Brakes seem to be stopping nicely after bedding them in. No brake booster, standard pads. Now to wait patiently on body and paint.

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Junior Charter Member
847 Posts
Awesome! Definitely keep sunscreen and a hat in the car at all times.
Foot box blowers help a lot with the heat entering the cockpit.
I also keep hair elastics in my convertibles for the ladies or any male friends who still have a mullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
Awesome! Definitely keep sunscreen and a hat in the car at all times.
Foot box blowers help a lot with the heat entering the cockpit.
I also keep hair elastics in my convertibles for the ladies or any male friends who still have a mullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure if I'd be friends with you if you still rocked a mullet:LOL:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #685 · (Edited)
this morning started off w/ a surprise. My buddy came over with a new MKII that he bought over the weekend off of a member from this forum. it's a donor build completed around 2006 I believe with a 5.0 engine and a 5 speed. We might see him on this forum after a while. He drove from OH to NJ and back in a 30 hr period this weekend and got back late last night. I heard him drive by my house around 11:30pm and I knew right away that he was home!

I'm running out of things to do while waiting on body/paint. I have my side mirror mounted on the fender, and with the flat mirror, can basically only see cars directly passing me in my blind spot. I'm in the process of swapping out to a convex mirror, but all the ones I can find are a bit too large (3.75in vs 3-3/8"). I bought a circular glass cutter on amazon for $10. My first attempt was cut a bit too small. ordered another mirror and tried cutting it today. I put too much pressure and cracked the mirror. I just ordered 2 more mirrors ($5/piece) today to try again. If I get the first one cut just right, I'll give my buddy the other one as he has a fender mounted mirror as well.
I also installed my floor mats. I used eagle claw hooks to attempt to keep the mats from moving. I'll see how effective this is. the "hooks" are pretty long and I'm sure are meant for thicker carpet. The directions say to hammer or step on the tabs to set them in, but i'm afraid of breaking off the plastic hooks. it comes with a punch to punch a hole in your mats, which was nice.

I also cleaned out my garage for the first time in a while. Very cathartic. I had a ton of empty boxes to break down and put in recycling. I also broke down my body buck into pieces, waiting for someone else who can use it. I took down my makeshift "paint booth" which amounts to a large box opened up w/ other pieces of cardboard placed around it. Once I get some wheel dollies, I'll have room to work on my next project ;) (thinking an old 50s truck). I'm going to start organizing a box with all the trim pieces and seals to bring once jkleiner is ready for me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My MKII is about to break 30k miles and I get the same great feeling every time I drive it. Since I drive year round, I have gone to always wearing a hat (as I get older my follicle sun block seems to thin) and pretty much a long sleeve shirt or my Motorcycle jacket. I really like the leather motorcycle jacket with the zip out lining. During the winter, I am always warm down to freezing. In the summer without the liner and one arm out, I get enough ventilation to keep cool till the high 90s. I am also amazed how much those little side and top of the window wind deflectors work.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #687 ·

Spinners installed x4. I used the o- ring, pool noodle, dry graphite route. I ordered spinner eaze but will hold off unless the graphite isn't enough. I also found my pool noodle was too large and used 1.5"water heater foam insulation instead. Spinners tighten when spinning them towards the rear.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·

Modding my side mirror. I really like the look of a fender mounted mirror, but even properly adjusted, I'm only seeing cars as they are immediately in my blindspot. Stock mirror is 3.5"and all convex mirrors i could find are 3.75". I bought a$10 round glass cutter on Amazon to trim down the mirror after removing the tin backing. Needle nose pliers after scoring the glass to break off the rim of glass. Took 3 tries. First one cut a bit too small, second one broke from pressure. Third time a charm. Good thing these are only $6 each. Much better view of blindspot and adjacent lane

Attachments

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
this is looking awesome! I cannot wait to get to that stage. I think I'm almost to go cart stage myself with my build. How's the ride comfort on the longer trips? Any comfort issues with the seat?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #690 ·
this is looking awesome! I cannot wait to get to that stage. I think I'm almost to go cart stage myself with my build. How's the ride comfort on the longer trips? Any comfort issues with the seat?
Only about 200mi driving so far. Longest drive was only about 30mi. With a solid rear axle, you definitely feel the bumps in the road. Biggest issue I've discovered so far is the back sweat in longer drives. The footbox heat will be cut down once I get it all properly insulated with weather stripping but not until after body/ paint

Reactions: thwrightstuff

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Only about 200mi driving so far. Longest drive was only about 30mi. With a solid rear axle, you definitely feel the bumps in the road. Biggest issue I've discovered so far is the back sweat in longer drives. The footbox heat will be cut down once I get it all properly insulated with weather stripping but not until after body/ paint
Awesome dude!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
Decided on the B/W center cap for my steering wheel. All the other gauges are black/ chrome so I thought the colored insert would look out of place. Drilled a hole in the billet aluminum to allow for air to escape. Greased the O ring for easier insertion.

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Junior Charter Member
847 Posts
Love your interior!

Reactions: egchewy

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
replacing rear pads with Hawks. my calipers are new castings of 87-88 Tbird calipers from FFR. I'm finding it extremely hard to get the shims and and pads in place. Any issues just using one or no shims? I know the idea of the shim is to allow the pad to slide along a smoother surface, but can only seem to fit one shim in. The alternative is to grind down the ends of the pad a bit.
TIA.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
sometimes in life you're better off being lucky than good. when replacing my DS rear pads, I discovered that my caliper bolts (caliper to bracket) were both loose. I mean I was able to unthread them just with my hand. I'm not sure how they got so loose and can't seem to find the torque specs in the manual. Snugged them down to 70ft/lbs. I'm pretty sure I was a few hundred miles away from those puppies completely falling out.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
sometimes in life you're better off being lucky than good. when replacing my DS rear pads, I discovered that my caliper bolts (caliper to bracket) were both loose. I mean I was able to unthread them just with my hand. I'm not sure how they got so loose and can't seem to find the torque specs in the manual. Snugged them down to 70ft/lbs. I'm pretty sure I was a few hundred miles away from those puppies completely falling out.
Hi Chewy. If those bolts were the larger ones that attached the bracket to the axle 70-80 ft/lbs is probably fine if they were the smaller ones that hold the pins, 70 is a lot, spec. is more around 25 or so as I recall. It's also a good idea to use blue Loctite on those bolts as well. The pin bolts that come with rebuild kits usually come with Loctite already on them. Just an FYI. Take Care. Scott

Reactions: egchewy
681 - 696 of 696 Posts