Factory Five Racing Forum banner
661 - 680 of 714 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
My wife and I just had a baby yesterday, so I feel like my wings will be clipped for a while. Now if I can only figure out a way to install a rear facing car seat in the cobra ...
Congrats man! That's so exciting! Get some baby earplugs and get that seat in! Gotta start them young

Reactions: egchewy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congratulations!!!!!

Lol I squeezed my youngest in the backseat of my Mustang to bring him home lol. My wife still complaims about that!
Congrats... Does F5 have an adaption for a baby seat?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #664 ·
Someone wanted to help me assemble my wind wings

·
Registered
612 Posts
Very Cool.;)

·
Registered
726 Posts
congratulations! Enjoy every minute, they grow up fast.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #668 ·
Working on windshield wings and sun visors. Decided to not use the kit provided screws for the visors to prevent windshield cracking and went with the square nut option through the top windshield channel. I used #6-32 screws/ nuts and works great. Had to cut the screws to around 7mm to prevent them from hitting the bottom of the channel.

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got my custom radiator tubes back. Shout out to tubular techniques in Hilliard Ohio for a nice mandrel bend job. Wired up starter, temp senders, oil pressure sender, alternator mega fuse View attachment 359354 View attachment 359355 , fitech fuel pump and fan ground wires View attachment 359352 View attachment 359353 . Installed upper radiator tube. Need to get a couple more hose clamps before installing lower tube.
several more items off my punch list
-moved + battery cable to the inside of the PS 4" tube. it was formerly running on the outside, which would have put it directly under my J pipe
-started drilling/tapping the outside of my PS frame for my flex SS braided fuel line. that is until I snapped my tap. I have line separators that have a slightly longer bolt that goes through the middle that will tap into my frame. I think i'm going to rivet in a few insulated clips for insurance along the path of my fuel and return lines.
-had to mess w/ my throttel linkage a bit. gas pedal was a bit too high for my liking. in the process discovered that my tension pin on one of the arms wasn't actually all the way in. glad i found out now.
-started mocking up a template for a lower radiator hose. my stupid pre 1969 engine has the water pump coolant inlet on the PS instead of the DS. All aftermarket solid tubes are for the DS inlet. I used some spare brake line, heater hose insulation, to mock up a shape. seems to be about right. i'll find a custom muffler shop who can mandrel bend me some 1 1/2" tubing and put in a flair/raised bead for a hose clamp.
-attached my shifter and Breeze knob and did the obligatory pretend driving/shifting, making vroom vroom sounds in my head.
-attached new delco engine temp sensor for my fitech. read that the one that comes w/ the unit reads consistently 20* too cool.
View attachment 359253
What type of shop did you have make your lower radiator tube?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #671 ·
What type of shop did you have make your lower radiator tube?
I initially called a muffler shop thinking they might be able to bend the tube for me. They directed me to Tubular Techiques as we needed a mandrel bent tube and the muffler shop didn't have the right equipment. I'm still convinced that if you find the right muffler shop or hot rod shop, they would have the equipment to do the bending. I made a template out of an extra piece of hard brake line wrapped in water heater pipe insulation (left over from my body buck padding) to get the correct OD, and gave the tube shop my template. They did a bead roll on both ends for a hose clamp as well. Cost was maybe just under the Boig or Breeze solid tube pricing.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #672 ·
Mini milestones... picking my son up from track practice

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #673 ·
Drummer Mike shields installed, at least on DS. It's a shame he's not making them anymore. Beautiful polish.
I think I got one of his last ones before he stopped production.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Drummer Mike shields installed, at least on DS. It's a shame he's not making them anymore. Beautiful polish. View attachment 362660 I think I got one of his last ones before he stopped production.
OMG I am so happy I got mine. They look fantastic Chewy! I am going to wait myself. Until everything is done. I want to wait to add some of these items like heat shields and wheel knock offs until the end.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #675 ·
OMG I am so happy I got mine. They look fantastic Chewy! I am going to wait myself. Until everything is done. I want to wait to add some of these items like heat shields and wheel knock offs until the end.
Thanks for the heads up about Mike going to his winter home. I probably wouldn't have ordered my shields and likely would have missed out if you didn't alert me of the fact.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about Mike going to his winter home. I probably wouldn't have ordered my shields and likely would have missed out if you didn't alert me of the fact.
I am very happy that you got some. No problem. They are very very well done..

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #677 ·
Ordered a rear view mirror bracket from darkwater customs 2 months ago (still waiting) and got tired of driving without a proper mirror, so i fabricated my own from some angled aluminum i had laying around.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #678 ·
Mirror mount seems to work pretty good. Might even cancel my dark water order.
DM's heat shields are amazingly effective. Cool to the touch after a 30 min drive.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #679 · (Edited)

Decided my original design was to bulky, so I cut it down a bit. Looks better IMO. FYI, anything larger than a #6 square nut is too large for the channel. Used #8 hardware. But had to file down the edges and thickness of the nut.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #680 ·
Got my pipe hangers on. If you're getting ready to tackle this, do yourself a favor and buy some cobalt bits. Trying to drill these holes while on your back with no leverage is impossible with titanium bits. I also got a right angle drill attachment which is crucial. I first attached both bolts to the side pipe bracket, marked the inner most hole, and marked the rubber hanger hole about a1/2-3/4" above where the hole in the hanger would sit to ensure stretch on the hanger. Took out one of the bolts on the side pipe bracket per Kleiner's advice and made the remaining bolt barely snug. Second side took a fraction of the time as always. Also installed my door straps and cockpit fire extinguisher.

661 - 680 of 714 Posts