Twas the night before first start, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except for.... well..... me.
Spent some time tonight doing some last minute check list items. Installed the properly gapped plugs, attached spark wires to dizzy, filled with 7q BR30 break in oil. I'll add another quart after I prime the system. Realized battery was dead as I had left the 🔑 on run position the other day and have it on a trickle charger now. Had a minor freak out when my fuel pump wouldn't run. I had removed the fuse a while back to prevent the pump from running dry while checking other electric system stuff. Reinstalled the fuse tonight and it didn't run with key turned on. I have a pump kill switch in line with my inertia switch/ fuel pump relay ground. I realized for some reason the pump won't run if you flip it after you've already turned the key to run. Works perfectly if you flip the switch first then turn the key. I first thought I had wired something wrong with the fitech. Can't wait to hear this dog bark.
Here you go. I'll add some comments later when I have some time. Too excited not to share right now
my buddy mark came over to help with first start. I found out right before showed up that my coil wire from the dizzy had 2 female ends, and my coil needed a male end. quick trip to the auto store and I had a universal spark plug wire that had a male end that I was able to swap onto my existing wire. primed the oil pump using a drill going in reverse and verified oil coming from each push rod. put on gaskets and head covers and then added about 3G of fuel to the tank. We had some initial timing issues as you'll hear in the video. We had it running pretty good with about 14* of initial timing. Mark noticed that the engine was shaking a bit and was thinking there was a misfire in one of the plugs. He grabbed an infrared thermometer and found that cylinder #3 was not firing. Plug wire had come loose and he plugged it back in. Once he did this, the FiTech got a bit rough. Lots of rumbling and RPMs were surging with no real difference in throttle position. We noticed that the target AFR and actual AFR were pretty close initially around 14.5. After the plug wire was secured, the AFR was reading around 20! we had some difficulty getting it to fire up easily as well.
turned off the engine and did some quick research, finding that we probably needed to reset the learn function. once we did this, it fired up right away again and AFR and target AFR were much closer.
20-25min revved at 2000-2500RPM followed by 10-15min of slow revving from 1500-3k RPM. Fan kicked on right at 195*, oil pressure steady around 58psi. I thought my dash temp gauge wasn't reading correctly until I realized it was in celsius. Will change the oil/filter next and replace the inner springs.
pretty good feeling at this point! ready to move forward with the rest of the build.
oh, and the best part....no leaks! no oil, coolant, or fuel spilled other than filling the gas tank initially. I'll torque down the intake bolts and header bolts once it cools down and check it again after getting it to temp again.
A forum community dedicated to Factory Five owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, racing, conversions, modifications, troubleshooting and drivetrain. We discuss MK4, GTM, 818, Type 65 coupe, roadsters, and more!