Factory Five Racing Forum banner

381 - 400 of 423 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Found new springs. Original spring is on the right. Compression felt very similar to the stock ones. Thankfully I only cut one of the pair. New spring was slightly longer than original, so I had to grind off some of the piston to get it flush with the casing. How do I remove the ball from the knob? Looks like it's pressed in. Not sure how to hold the handle to knock it out without scratching the finish.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
Undercoated body today. 2 coats of duplicolor bed armor with an extra coat in the wheel wells. Interesting product. Like trying to paint with runny cottage cheese. Didn't get any on my clothes which is a miracle. Also installed new water neck which will house my water temp sender.

Attachments

·
Curious George
420 Posts
Undercoated body today. 2 coats of duplicolor bed armor with an extra coat in the wheel wells. Interesting product. Like trying to paint with runny cottage cheese. Didn't get any on my clothes which is a miracle. Also installed new water neck which will house my water temp sender.
looks awsome! I think you should get a medal for no paint on you! :)

·
Junior Charter Member
617 Posts
Looks good,
My dad helped me with my undercoating and I think he got more on him than on the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
Offered my kit supplied break fluid reservoir several times with no takers, so I turned it into my charcoal canister for my fuel vent.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Fit body and doors on for the first time today since receiving the kit. Fits extremely well. When pushed all the way forward, the body sits right at 1/4" in front of striker mount and under lip of cowl fits snugly against my padded dash. Not really seeing and major panels that need trimmed, maybe a touch off the rear trunk sidewalls. Got my seats mocked up and marked, so I can move forward in mounting the bases and finish sound barrier and start on carpet.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Fitting roll bar, adding bulb seal and weather stripping. I made bulb seal that starts in the rear cockpit into the trunk sidewalls one long piece. I had to score the seal to make the 90*turn. Secured at the bottom with a pop rivet. Does this look about right?
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
Starting carpeting in the trunk. I'm using outdoor carpet cement. Also decided to try my hand at instabind to give edges a more finished look. I went ahead and"cauterized"the edges around the roll bar openings with a lighter to prevent further fraying. I cut the large piece into 2 to make it more manageable. So far so good.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Regarding the lower piece of carpet, I held the large horizontal section in with Velcro around the perimeter. This allows me to peel it back to access the fuel tank panels. I still glued the rear most part of that piece of the carpet. I never bothered with cauterizing edges, but it sounds like a good idea. Instead I just cut my pieces so they press tight, right up against and into each other. This worked well. 3 years on and still looks great. Make sure you get floor mats, for the foot boxes. This carpet is not as robust as your average DD.

Cheers, Nigel

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Chewy

On a side note

If you bought the FFR air shock trunk supports, it will be a good idea to switch out the hinges now and install the supports. And or decide if you want some. You will have to modify or change FFR supplied hinges if you want supports.

Jason

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Regarding the lower piece of carpet, I held the large horizontal section in with Velcro around the perimeter. This allows me to peel it back to access the fuel tank panels. I still glued the rear most part of that piece of the carpet. I never bothered with cauterizing edges, but it sounds like a good idea. Instead I just cut my pieces so they press tight, right up against and into each other. This worked well. 3 years on and still looks great. Make sure you get floor mats, for the foot boxes. This carpet is not as robust as your average DD.

Cheers, Nigel
I did the RT drop trunk and made some polished aluminum access panels for the pump and sender. Thanks for the heads up on floor mats

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Lower trunk carpet going in. Used instabind around drop trunk opening. Polished donor air intake. Painting creases between carpet pieces.

Attachments

·
Junior Charter Member
617 Posts
Looking good!
Great work paying attention to the details
This is the point that a lot of builders just want to get on the road and cut corners on fit and finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Trans cover plate, flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate attached. Bell housing and trans next

Attachments

·
Not a waxer
11,768 Posts
Looking good Eugene. One question though before you add the bellhousing; did you use a sealer on the flywheel to crankshaft bolts? The holes in the crank are drilled through and are "wet". You can get oil leakage if the bolts are put in dry.

Jeff

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Looking good Eugene. One question though before you add the bellhousing; did you use a sealer on the flywheel to crankshaft bolts? The holes in the crank are drilled through and are "wet". You can get oil leakage if the bolts are put in dry.

Jeff
Thanks for noticing. Yes, I did. Found some good debates over use of blue thread lock vs teflon thread sealer. Seemed to be pretty evenly split down the middle. I opted for blue thread lock.

381 - 400 of 423 Posts