Factory Five Racing Forum banner

341 - 359 of 359 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Nice Chewy. With the alternator bracket being on the bottom you will not have any problems with the radiator hose.

·
Not a waxer
11,691 Posts
...Installing under dash supports. Anyone else find that you need to bend these a bit to work? I installed a momentary push bottom switch in DS support for my hazard lights...
Just for the record what you are calling the "under dash supports" aren't really intended for that purpose. They are designed to be used for mounting donor Mustang headlight and flasher switches which is why they need to be bent or modified to get repurposed as dash supports. I see you found the switch for your hazards! I like your dash material (y)

Jeff

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
One good thing about social distancing... starting trunk aluminum riveting. Manual riveter, sore hands

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Starting to assemble radiator. Using the breeze upper hinge. Cut off the short 3/4" tubes. Has anyone had a 4"cut off wheel break off and hit you in the face? Thank goodness I was wearing eye protection. Large chunk hit me right in the upper lip and it was numb for a few hours. My son was in the garage with me at the time and I needed him to verify that I wasn't bleeding. Starting to drill the SS hinge and recognized I need to buy some cobalt bits. Thanks for Amazon prime during this lockdown. I also got a V belt for my pulleys. I measured 37"with a string and ordered a 37.5"belt. Clearly too short. I ordered a 38.5"and a 39"belt today. Any good rule to estimate belt length? I even tried taking off the water pump pulley, putting the belt around it, then reinstalling the pulley. Also noticed that my motor mounts are not the same as the donor stock mounts. Stock ones were angled and had shorter bolt hole distances.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
Breeze upper hinge and fan shroud assembled. SS is a pain to drill through. Can radiator be installed prior to engine install or best to wait until after?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #348

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Lots of folks have removed & reinstalled their drive train on a completed car. So with some forethought & bringing the hoist in from the side, the radiator will not be a hindrance.

If you do bring the hoist in from the front, I found that the limit to forward movement was the steering rack. The radiator was not a factor.

John

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Lots of folks have removed & reinstalled their drive train on a completed car. So with some forethought & bringing the hoist in from the side, the radiator will not be a hindrance.

If you do bring the hoist in from the front, I found that the limit to forward movement was the steering rack. The radiator was not a factor.

John
I might be mistaken, but doesn't the radiator sit in front of the steering rack?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Once you install the radiator, cut a piece of scrap board and place over the front of the core. being that the radiator core is as soft as butter, it is so easily damaged, especially if you're going to put your engine in afterwards.
I also fabricated the lower mount. Some of our roads over here are pretty ordinary so I wanted to give the radiator as much protection as possible. I used rubber isolation mounts and so far they have worked out well. As an aside I found the car handles the bumpy roads better than I thought it would.

Your build is progressing very nicely, sounds like you had a lucky escape with the cut off wheel! I have been bitten by these before. Don't reckon I have used my 9inch grinder since. No one needs an unnecessary trip to hospital right now.

You are going to have a great car when done.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Once you install the radiator, cut a piece of scrap board and place over the front of the core. being that the radiator core is as soft as butter, it is so easily damaged, especially if you're going to put your engine in afterwards.
I also fabricated the lower mount. Some of our roads over here are pretty ordinary so I wanted to give the radiator as much protection as possible. I used rubber isolation mounts and so far they have worked out well. As an aside I found the car handles the bumpy roads better than I thought it would.

Your build is progressing very nicely, sounds like you had a lucky escape with the cut off wheel! I have been bitten by these before. Don't reckon I have used my 9inch grinder since. No one needs an unnecessary trip to hospital right now.

You are going to have a great car when done.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz
I already have a piece of cardboard taped to the front of the radiator. Did so per Breeze instructions to keep metal shavings out of the fins while drilling.
Just looked at my pics again and realized that I need to take the shroud off. Looks like I forgot to remove a strip of blue tape at the top of the back side prior to installing the shroud.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
I might be mistaken, but doesn't the radiator sit in front of the steering rack?
Yes; you're right of course. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Finishing up rear light weather pack connectors.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Nice I still have to do mine. BTW I swear I ordered the tool a long time ago. I forgot about it. Lol. I will have to see where it went.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
Nice I still have to do mine. BTW I swear I ordered the tool a long time ago. I forgot about it. Lol. I will have to see where it went.
That was a while ago! Lol. Finished weather packs on the front lights today as well. Worked on the courtesy lights as well

341 - 359 of 359 Posts