Factory Five Racing Forum banner

321 - 340 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Those cup holders may be too far forward and will be under the dash.
Put the dash panel in place before you commit to that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bottle top sits just in front of dash. Water bottle, tumbler, or can should be fine. This is the furthest back i can place the cup holders and have them symmetrically side by side without worrying about clearance from the diagonal frame under the cover.

Attachments

·
Curious George
416 Posts
Bottle top sits just in front of dash. Water bottle, tumbler, or can should be fine. This is the furthest back i can place the cup holders and have them symmetrically side by side without worrying about clearance from the diagonal frame under the cover.
hehe - beer bottle test ;)

do you use other items like insulated coffee mugs, etc? may want to check things with a wider top

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
hehe - beer bottle test ;)

do you use other items like insulated coffee mugs, etc? may want to check things with a wider top
Inquiring minds want to know. Here u go. Plenty of clearance

Attachments

·
Junior Charter Member
613 Posts
Looks perfect

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Looks perfect! What measurements did you use?
I didn't really take detailed measurements. I made a cardboard template of the tunnel cover and from under the tunnel, traced the 3/4" tube on to the bottom side of the cardboard. I then used a compass to draw a circle the diameter of my cupholder that would fit between the 3/4 diagonal tube and the side tube. I then drew another circle the same distance from the front wall of the tunnel and the side wall from the tube to make sure that it was symmetrical front/back and side/side. Cut out the holes and test fit the cupholders. Then I held the cardboard template over my aluminum cover and traced the circles onto it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #329 (Edited)
Been working on dash wiring and figuring out the harness. Got engine reassembled today. Feeling rather accomplished despite having RTV stained hands
20200216_152859.jpg

·
First Time Builder
291 Posts
That’s looking nice. About ready to do a bunch more work! :)

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
FYI. A bit of advise I found out the hard way. Make sure you get a thermostat and thermostat Housings on before you putting the rest of the front end asseceries on.

Jason

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
FYI. A bit of advise I found out the hard way. Make sure you get a thermostat and thermostat Housings on before you putting the rest of the front end asseceries on.

Jason
should I be looking for a straight or 45*angled thermostat housing/waterneck?

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
should I be looking for a straight or 45*angled thermostat housing/waterneck?
[/QUOTE

I found a rotating 90 degree. For me the brackets I used would not allow for a straight housing. Rotating 90 seemed the most versatile. Also it's easy to put the thermostat in backwards make sure its facing the right way. The thermostat may or may not have a small hole in the the flange. If it does not you will need to make one. Lots of advise on the forum.
Screenshot_20200216-221737_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200216-221656_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200216-231204_Amazon Shopping.jpg

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Attached alternator, pulleys, spark plugs, valve cover studs, thermostat, water neck today. Pulleys appear aligned. Decided to keep the PS water pump and will figure a way to fabricate a tube to get over to DS radiator outlet. Darn pre-1969 engines.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Putting on pulleys. Bought a kit from CVF. nice products, but noticed that the crank and water pump pulleys were a bit deeper that stock pulleys. Had a double alternator pulley on stock setup that would actually work. The alternator pulley that was sent didn't line up. Called CVF today and they're going to send out a double alternator pulley. Not sure why their kit comes with pulleys that are deeper but not the correct alternator pulley. Great customer service btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
New pulleys are on. For a brief moment, I thought I had snapped the bolt holding my lower alternator bracket on. Thankfully it wasn't the case because it was a long one that went all the way onto the block.
I've been working on the dash wiring. I installed a signal dynamics self cancelling unit with the help from JKleiner. Thanks again. Installing under dash supports. Anyone else find that you need to bend these a bit to work? I installed a momentary push bottom switch in DS support for my hazard lights. Also noticed that the access panel for my fuel pump would not allow me to access the connectors for my actual fuel and return lines. Decided to open this up and make a new block off plate.

321 - 340 of 414 Posts