Factory Five Racing Forum banner

301 - 310 of 310 Posts

·
Not a waxer
11,555 Posts
"Insert long sigh here "
Discover that my timing cover has a stripped bolt hole. Need to replace it now, which means removing the balancer, cover, and getting new gaskets and front seal...
Just put a Helicoil in the stripped hole/holes. No need to disassemble anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5521-5-Coarse-Thread-Repair/dp/B0002SRDUU/ref=asc_df_B0002SRDUU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312350891162&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15001520918582743104&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016564&hvtargid=pla-448759604626&psc=1

Easy peasey!

Jeff

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
first start doesn't seem too far away - even whispering that to myself was all it took to bring on a set back, sometimes monumental, but always expensive. 😬

Best of luck, Nigel
I know, right? Totally jinxed myself

·
Junior Charter Member
407 Posts
"Insert long sigh here "
Discover that my timing cover has a stripped bolt hole. Need to replace it now, which means removing the balancer, cover, and getting new gaskets and front seal. Contemplating switching to an electric water pump. Also discovered that ARP water pump bolts don't fit current set up without modification. Frustrating night.
Hang in there. My garage visit got postponed when a hose let go under my sink at 2am Saturday morning. The entire weekend got shifted over to addressing the water damage.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Picking seats up from upholsterer later today. Custom dash and trans tunnel to follow. He does good work.

Attachments

·
First Time Builder
264 Posts
I'm wanting to mount my dash without screws through the face of the dash. been looking at edwards's set up with the angled pieces of metal on the backside that screws into the 3/4 " tubing. I've noticed that the dash does not line up with the 3/4" curved frame. how much frame should be showing on the sides? and should the dash be even with the frame in the middle in terms of height? also where should I curve the dash forward? and i'm assuming this bend is done after the dash is covered, right?
Chewy, another think to note. I used edwardB’s method and thought I accounted for everything, but missed one. I thought I accounted for enough spacing in between the dash and the 3/4” crossbar to accommodate the dash covering but I needed more space. As a result I had to redrill my holes in the angle pieces in order to mount the dash after I installed the covering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Chewy, another think to note. I used edwardB’s method and thought I accounted for everything, but missed one. I thought I accounted for enough spacing in between the dash and the 3/4” crossbar to accommodate the dash covering but I needed more space. As a result I had to redrill my holes in the angle pieces in order to mount the dash after I installed the covering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I decided that it would be easier to mount the dash from the front, at least for me. decided on some 1/4" stainless rounded head socket head screws with rivnuts in the hoop frame. better looking than stock screws.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Ok, for those following on another thread, I've been working on my dash, trying to figure out how to attach to hoop frame and what switches I want. Pic shows my idea for PS dash. Doing custom dash, and the red lines represent raised closed- cell foam under leather giving a 3D element. Wanted something to break up the box- less dash. Decided on installing some aluminum L brackets on the hoop to attach dash with velcro. Bought nitto g2 555s today as well, 245/45/17 fronts and 315/35/17 rears.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ok, for those following on another thread, I've been working on my dash, trying to figure out how to attach to hoop frame and what switches I want. Pic shows my idea for PS dash. Doing custom dash, and the red lines represent raised closed- cell foam under leather giving a 3D element. Wanted something to break up the box- less dash. Decided on installing some aluminum L brackets on the hoop to attach dash with velcro. Bought nitto g2 555s today as well, 245/45/17 fronts and 315/35/17 rears.
For the velcro, check out a piece of 3m dual lock. Amazon has it pretty cheap. It's very strong, holding the top of my dash. I just bought those exact tires, love the look and rated very highly!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
For the velcro, check out a piece of 3m dual lock. Amazon has it pretty cheap. It's very strong, holding the top of my dash. I just bought those exact tires, love the look and rated very highly!
thanks
actually already picked some up from amazon per another member's suggestion.
planning on having mike's under dash panel as well to help stabilize the dash.
I saw someone else use piano hinges to attach the under dash panel to the frame, making dash removal easier. I might copy this idea.

301 - 310 of 310 Posts