Factory Five Racing Forum banner

181 - 200 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Removing the body? What makes you think you'd need to remove the body to replace fluid? As Rich said you could simply use a flat plate attached to the side of the tubing for mounting the reservoirs like I'm showing here:

Keep the top of the caps at or below the top of the square tube and you'll be good.

Jeff
Thanks
I've seen pics where it looks like part of the reservoir cap sits under the body and wanted to make sure that a bleeder cap wouldn't get in the way.
I haven't seen many Cobras in person and hope to see plenty at LCS this year to get some ideas and pointers on my build.

·
Not a waxer
11,521 Posts
...hope to see plenty at LCS this year to get some ideas and pointers on my build.
You will! Be sure to look me up and introduce yourself. I'll be there (for the 17th time!) from Thursday on and have been asked to work the FFR display again this year so shouldn't be hard to find. See you there :)

Jeff

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Building rear shocks. One was at the softest (zero) setting, the other was at the first setting. I guess it pays off to check. Any issues if the reset button doesn't pop back up on its own? Will it likely pop on its own later?

Attachments

·
Not a waxer
11,521 Posts
...I guess it pays off to check. Any issues if the reset button doesn't pop back up on its own? Will it likely pop on its own later?
Yep, I've unboxed some with random settings which is why I always advise to check them. The button needs to pop up into the detent. Twist the shaft back and forth a few degrees both directions after releasing it and it should come into position.

Jeff

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yep, I've unboxed some with random settings which is why I always advise to check them. The button needs to pop up into the detent. Twist the shaft back and forth a few degrees both directions after releasing it and it should come into position.

Jeff
Maybe I missed it or my memory is bad, but I don't remember the "button" on the shocks on my build. :confused1: Can you post a picture of the "button"?

Thanks,

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Take off the dust cap on the end with the foam bumper. Button is under the cap

·
Registered
367 Posts

Jeff
Thanks!! I missed that during my build!

Any suggestion for settings? Looks like there are 4 possibilities.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #192

Jeff
Thanks!! I missed that during my build!

Any suggestion for settings? Looks like there are 4 possibilities.
Softest setting, all the was counterclockwise

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
...I guess it pays off to check. Any issues if the reset button doesn't pop back up on its own? Will it likely pop on its own later?

Jeff
Any suggestions if the button won't come back up, even after rotating it through all the possible settings?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Back at it. Added 1q rear end fluid and friction additive. Will top fluid off once I get it installed through fill hole. Finished building rear shocks. I was able to get my reset button to pop back up using a small pick. Sanded and repainted part of rear end with KBS where paint had blistered. Tried installing my bracket I made for my CNC reservoirs. Initially riveted it to the underside of the 3/4 tube. Found out the rivets weren't strong enough and bracket was wobbly as I was installing the reservoirs. Resorted to cutting off the tab and will plan to mount on the inside of the tube with rivnuts.

Anyone have a suggestion on which rivnut tool to get and what size I should consider using here? Lots of options out there on the interweb 😜

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,071 Posts
Make it easy on yourself. Drill all the way through the 3/4x3/4 and use a 10-32 SS machine screw and a nylock nut on the back side. Riv nuts can work OK but when you try to remove a bolt someday, and the rivnut spins in the hole.....and you have to resort to cutting things....then rivnuts don't seem such a great answer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
What size rivets did you try using?
I actually just ordered this, arrived yesterday. Can't comment on it yet but the reviews are pretty good and it includes rivnuts. There are 2 styles of rivnut guns, do you have enough room underneath that tube to use the vertical style gun? Or would you be better off with a right angle gun?
Astro Pneumatic Tool 1442 13" Hand Rivet Nut Setter Kit - Metric & SAE W/ 60pc Rivnuts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TODXQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4Cu3CbQ2RGWWP
3/16"rivets. Apparently not strong enough. I ended up cutting the small tab off and will mount on the inside of the 3/4 tube.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Make it easy on yourself. Drill all the way through the 3/4x3/4 and use a 10-32 SS machine screw and a nylock nut on the back side. Riv nuts can work OK but when you try to remove a bolt someday, and the rivnut spins in the hole.....and you have to resort to cutting things....then rivnuts don't seem such a great answer.

I currently have my front hard brake lines on the outside of the 3/4 tube, otherwise it sounds like a good idea. Do you recommend rerouting the hard line?

·
Registered
29 Posts
What size rivets did you try using?
I actually just ordered this, arrived yesterday. Can't comment on it yet but the reviews are pretty good and it includes rivnuts. There are 2 styles of rivnut guns, do you have enough room underneath that tube to use the vertical style gun? Or would you be better off with a right angle gun?
Astro Pneumatic Tool 1442 13" Hand Rivet Nut Setter Kit - Metric & SAE W/ 60pc Rivnuts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TODXQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4Cu3CbQ2RGWWP
Thats a great tool. You will not be dissatisfied.

181 - 200 of 305 Posts