Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the cable off the back of the speedo and the square wasn't turning with the car going down the road.

Pulled the other end out of the transmission and spun the drive gear and the speedo works.

Looked into the hole where the blue gear came out of and there doesn't seem to be anything in there for the blue gear to mesh with.

Felt inside with my finger and found a hole and something round and smooth inside.

Any ideas?

Hope I don't have to pull this egine out just to fix this!

Also this is a FI car, so I guess my speed sensor isn't working either, but the car rous good.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Was this a new trans? Or was someone inside of it already.

The tail housing has to come off. Its a gear that rides on the tail shaft.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Yes, the tail shaft housing has to come off. Not really a big deal, especially if you have a MIII. Go to the Ford deealer and get a new drive gear. I think it's a snap ring that retains it, but not sure. Look at their exploded diagram and make sure you have all the related parts and save yourself a trip.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Did you have the T-5 rebuilt? The T-5 uses a plastic drive gear that slides onto the shaft and is retained by a clip...

It sounds like your transmission is missing the drive gear. The rebuilder might have forgotten to install it...

Sorry...

HTH...
Mark

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
I installed my cable into a TKO 600 last week. The gear on the end of my cable is held in by a special snap or clip. As I was laying on the floor looking up into the hole in the tranny I could easily see a worm gear looking thing that meshed with the cable gear when assembled. If you can't easily see a gear in the transmission my guess is that you are missing something. The TKO may also look different than what you have.

Mike M.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This transmission is brand new, and this is a MK II. This doesn't sound good!

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Where did you get the trans from? It might be "new" to you, but still a rebuild if not a reputable place. If it is a known shop it may have simply been a misbuilt unit. There's a small chance the gear is on the shaft, just not retained by the locking clip. Try using a small pick tool or length of wire, maybe even a small mirror and light, to see if the gear is on the shaft and just slid farther back...

It's a long shot, but it might be there. Though, you'll probably still have to R&R the tailshaft to put the clip on...

Mark

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
T5 was bought new from Max at 5 Star Ford. I'll give max a call on Monday

Thanks for the help!

Dennis

·
Charter Member
3,486 Posts
Dennis my drive gear went missing after 7,500 miles so next winter project is going to be pulling the engine and trans to see what happened to my drive gear. The cop will tell me how fast I was going

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea Rob Thats what I'm afraid of... but at least I'll have an excuse! :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Try to disconnect cable from speedo and try turning cable from speedo end. Could be gear on cable bad and slipping or maybe just not seated or meshed if you can spin it.
If you find it can't be turned at the speedo end speedo is suspect or the routing of the cable to extreme.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts