Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the temp registration so I can get to the alignment shop and DMV but I took the opportunity to run down and fill up the tank. About 2 miles total. Water temp is running upwards of 100 (Celcius, this the A-M gauge) and I'm noticing some discoloration on the headers (chrome). I realized that I haven't run a timing light on the motor since doing the new rockers, just set it by ear.
Does this sound like it's advanced or retarded and what should I shoot for timing wise?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Sounds too lean / too advanced. I would time it and look at an air / fuel reading.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Gonna go yank a couple plugs and see what they look like.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Mike,set the timeing before going any further.
Start with 12-14* and tune from there. Chrome headers will blue in minutes if timing is too retarded and not polish back up. When you tune,timeing first,carb second. ;) This could also be cause of water temp or it just may need to be burped a little more with a couple more heat/cool cycles.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Does the dooling fan run it should come omn at less than 100c Bob

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that 12-14 BTDC? This is an EFI car so no carb. Do I set the timing with the spout out?
Don't care much about the headers, just would rather not cook any valves or the heads.
Plugs were pretty white.

Bob it's got an adjustable thermostat, I can turn it to come at any point. I also worked the cooling system some more after it cooled down and got maybe another quart into it.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,387 Posts
Mike,

12 degrees BTDC with spout out.

Mark

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mark.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, the timing light showed I was running probably 20º ATC (with the spout out). I set the timing back to 12º BTC and the idle sounds better. More 'lope' and less 'stutter'. Motor seems to run good.
Temp-wise I'm still running between 95 and 100, or basically @ 200ºF. Is this OK with EFI? I've de-bubbled the system several times and it's not spitting water or acting otherwise over heated. Pulled a couple plugs and they look better, light tan color.

·
8,356 Posts
Mine runs @ constant 90-95*C water temp. Engine temp. lags behind that.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
200* is fine. Thats only 5* above t stat setting and as long as that is your hottest should have no problem. Depending on fan switch used it can be tough to mantain a 5* spit. Most control over a 10-15* range between fan on and fan off.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I'm still feeling out the fan control but think I have it in the right range now. It takes my temp gauge a little while to register and I'm thinking maybe it's a little air trapped up there. I'll do a bit more purging this morning and see if I can get some more water in it.
Everything went well on the drive yesterday so I'm heading for the DMV today.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Good luck at the DMV. For an idea on time. My engine will need to sit and run for about 7 minutes or so at idle before temp opens t stat.
I play with the fan t stat to get it adjusted while it sits in drive way idleing so I can watch the gauge better.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Made the trip today (success! ;) ), probably 20 miles total. Temp stayed 90-95 the whole time. All seems good!
Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.