Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "old" guys already know this, but if you are still building or still just dreaming, here's what might happen while just driving around town. Since we have a rule here about pictures, here is the proof.

Whitby had installed their top. This meant I could go for a longer ride. BTW, that top is really good looking. Jeff said, "You might need some fuel because Barry tried it out the other day."

So, I take the freeway and pick an exit at random. I pulled into the Exxon and before I could even get the Simpson undone, someone shouts "Look at this!" to his friends. These four guys came over and started asking all the questions that we discuss here. Of course I was nice and all smiles when they asked questions and made comments, but I had totally forgotten all the rehearsed answers I had memorized...

Then I went to Stamey's BBQ (delicious eastern NC-style). Made sure that I parked in front and sat where I could keep a camera on the car.

Before my order came back, this Miata passed, broke hard, backed up and stopped.

Out came the camera phone and I felt like a proud father.

Then this guy wanted to have a peek.

Then these people pulled up. The guy with the hat even took a look inside the front fenderwell. Apparently, the lady was not afraid to let her purse dangle near the crackling hot sidepipes.

Of course there was a lot more thumbs up, looking, pointing, and gawking going on while I was driving, but I didn't want to risk taking pictures while driving--I had my hands full with trying to charm the snake.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
I picked my painted car up from NCpainter a week ago. Made about three stops during the 8 hour drive.

Even with the car on an equipment trailer, I had questions to answer at every stop. This car will be a hoot.

One old man in South Carolina, after complementing the car nostalgically said "Back in the late 60s I had a GTO, heavily modified. I used to take it to Orlando and drag race." He paused a moment, looking a little sad, then added "I beat a lot of cars with that goat. But I never beat a Cobra."

What a memory for my first time out.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
838 Posts
My car has no paint, no carpet, the body seams are visible and huge gaps around the doors and trunk, but yet a few weeks ago two people in a Saturn followed me for a mile or so snapping pictures with a camera phone.

Tony

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
So in other words, there's a good chance that all of the girls with camera phones were snapping the car and not me?

·
dreamer turned builder
1,082 Posts
lol at the Miata driver. Little did she know that the camera was really on her!

I really need to finish my car. This kinda thing is really cool.

·
Senior Charter Member
701 Posts
Very nice play by play. I didn't think I'd like the front grill mesh but it looks VERY NICE!!!
That color combo and top are pretty rare...nice choice of materials...CONGRATS on a beautiful car!!! What you experienced that day will be replayed EVERY SINGLE TIME you go out.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hunter,
thanks for the compliment on the grill. It is a piece of stainless steel cloth. Worked out well...

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I forgot to mention your car! It looks great. White is a really sharp color on an FFR but we don't see it too often. It looks very "period correct".

I also like that grille. I just sent CobraEarl a PM to see if this could be a new product for him. He already makes the mesh covers for oil and brake duct openings.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Magnus,
Really get's me excited. I'm due to get my body back at the end of the year and that's the colors I'm going with. It really looks good. Everyone's right, we just don't see enough in the traditional
colors.
Enjoy!

Skip

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,744 Posts
I really like that color combo.It's traditional but quite rare unlike the reverse.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Hey nice car! Did you visit mine while at Whitby's . I was toying with the top , there were some on cars when I last visited Jeff and the crew . I was in engine mode when I was there , but now that they are nearing the end and I see how it looks , I NEED it . Then there was also the post that said I had to change the windshield angle and that did it . I sent the post to Jeff and said do it even if I don't get the top now . Enjoy the ride ! Bob

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Great pics. I sort of enjoy watching from a distance also. So far all have been friendly. Pete

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
Great...Can't wait to join the driving crowd..instead of the standing in the barn admiring crowd HA! CalHusker

·
Junior Charter Member AND Lurker
73 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, that's the front of my car in your first pic, Magnus. I got to see your car in person when i dropped mine off for the top...very nice looking cobra - good job.

·
7,097 Posts
Originally posted by DMW:
So in other words, there's a good chance that all of the girls with camera phones were snapping the car and not me?
Don't dash my dreams! :eek: I'm convinced I am the subject of the college girls new calendar...not my car!
;)

Of course my wife just says..."You watch where you're going! She's young enough to be your daughter!"

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
wait until you take it out on the interstate. Cars swarm around like bees! Any sports car passes and they punch it.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trevor,
I noticed the swarming. At one point I saw, in the rearview mirror, a Honda Del Sol weaving in and out and coming up fast. When they came up even with me, I saw that the passenger had his cam-phone at the ready and he was giving me the hand-sign for "hammer down". I down-shifted and made them happy...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Magnus, did this happen in Hagerstown or in NC? BTW: The car turned out great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.