Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

first drive impressions! Long but very important!

265 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Ray 
#1 ·
I drove #3406 on the road for the first time Thurs. morning. I was going to the get the alighnment done. At first I was very nervous, after a couple of miles I decided to give her some gas! Wow, what a sound! Forget the stereo idea! Anyway, about 2 miles down the road I hear something fall out of the engine compartment and bounce around under the car! Holy Shit, easy on the brakes and watch the guages. everything seemed ok so I continued to the shop thinking I might have missed some kind of something laying around under the hood. I went to the shop and pulled her on the rack. The tech hooked her up and crawled under, he informed me that I was missing 2 nuts from the adjustable A arms. I really meant to tighten those a long time ago!
Needless to say, I am one very lucky person, if those bolts went up instead of down, I would be toast!
This should serve as a lesson to everyone! No matter how much you think you have checked it, check it again!!!
I consider myself very lucky and I know that someone was looking out for me.
One very important lesson learned. This may be a kit, but definatley, not a toy!

Be safe everyone, enjoy your hard work but be safe!

She goes for paint next week!
Rick

See less See more
#2 ·
Good advice. For some reason those bolts seemed to be hard to remember to tighten (for me anyway). I put about 70 miles on it and started checking bolts and found I had forgotten one of those. That's not the first time either I forgot them on the go cart ride too.

#4 ·
While removing my fuel tank after 4500 miles, I discovered that the rear tank strap crossbolt nuts were only finger tight! Like Bill, I tightened as I went along, but I guess that I left these loose to tighten the front strap bolts, then forgot them.

Forrest

#5 ·
Not only did I tighten everything up as I went along, I put Loc-tight on all the bolts as I went along. Still haven't bent the cotter pins on the front end yet. I am going to have the front end shop (2 block away) do that when they check and set it up.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.