Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove #3406 on the road for the first time Thurs. morning. I was going to the get the alighnment done. At first I was very nervous, after a couple of miles I decided to give her some gas! Wow, what a sound! Forget the stereo idea! Anyway, about 2 miles down the road I hear something fall out of the engine compartment and bounce around under the car! Holy Shit, easy on the brakes and watch the guages. everything seemed ok so I continued to the shop thinking I might have missed some kind of something laying around under the hood. I went to the shop and pulled her on the rack. The tech hooked her up and crawled under, he informed me that I was missing 2 nuts from the adjustable A arms. I really meant to tighten those a long time ago!
Needless to say, I am one very lucky person, if those bolts went up instead of down, I would be toast!
This should serve as a lesson to everyone! No matter how much you think you have checked it, check it again!!!
I consider myself very lucky and I know that someone was looking out for me.
One very important lesson learned. This may be a kit, but definatley, not a toy!

Be safe everyone, enjoy your hard work but be safe!

She goes for paint next week!
Rick

·
Registered
635 Posts
Good advice. For some reason those bolts seemed to be hard to remember to tighten (for me anyway). I put about 70 miles on it and started checking bolts and found I had forgotten one of those. That's not the first time either I forgot them on the go cart ride too.

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
During my build, we tightened everything as we installed it. None of this, "Just install it and we'll tighten it later" stuff. I thik we could have forgotten a bunch of stuff if we had taken that approach.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
While removing my fuel tank after 4500 miles, I discovered that the rear tank strap crossbolt nuts were only finger tight! Like Bill, I tightened as I went along, but I guess that I left these loose to tighten the front strap bolts, then forgot them.

Forrest

·
7,718 Posts
Not only did I tighten everything up as I went along, I put Loc-tight on all the bolts as I went along. Still haven't bent the cotter pins on the front end yet. I am going to have the front end shop (2 block away) do that when they check and set it up.

Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.