Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Building 33 HR #432
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What fasteners do most builders use to attach the firewall to the body. Rivets,Button Head 10/32 screws with rivnuts or wellnuts? Or are there other options I have not thought of. I know the manual says 3/16 rivets but I would like to use something that will come apart easier and look more finished.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
940 Posts
beefy

What fasteners do most builders use to attach the firewall to the body. Rivets,Button Head 10/32 screws with rivnuts or wellnuts? Or are there other options I have not thought of. I know the manual says 3/16 rivets but I would like to use something that will come apart easier and look more finished.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I epoxied pieces of 1/4" Aluminum to the back edge of the body flange and plan on tapping that metal for the 10/32 black button heads that I bought from Fastenal. I bought 1/4" flat bar stock and bandsawed out the various pieces to fit the 3 curves and 2 flats. IIRC the bottom 2 flats are for the lower firewall pieces. HTH
Dale

·
Bill #420
85 Posts
Apologies. I misread the question. I've not yet attached firewall to body and am considering going to a larger button head, like 1/4 - 20. I have yet to solve closing the gap (~3/16 inch) from firewall to body on driver's side. I expect to do something like Buck70 to back the fiberglass.

Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
Firewall fastening

I used 10-32 SS Button head screws and rivnuts to fasten the firewall. I had to get two different length rivnuts due to the uneven thickness of the body.
Bolts from Bolt Depot and rivnuts from Jay-cee Sales and Rivets, both are on line.
I also used the rivnuts on the square tubing. They worked great.
Ted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.