Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you see from the photo the fuel tank is positioned, and the firewall pieces
are resting in place.

Is there supposed to be a space between the roll bar, and window section?

I can't push the fuel tanks back any further, which means I'll need to fabricate
a bracket to hold the window, and firewall to the roll bar, correct?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Is it both sides or just the passenger side?
My driver’s side fit just fine but I had issues with the passenger side and a lot of issue was attributed to getting it in just the right position.
Some have described having to heat up the tank with a heat gun and deform the plastic a little to get the correct shape.
As for spacing the window I have made up some ¼” spacers for mine but that is due to spraying the engine side of the tank covers and window with Lizardskin and the change in thickness caused everything to move out a little.
Have a closer look at your tank install as they should go in further even with the difference in tank casting and frame tolerances.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both sides are about equal.

I will check for spacing and moving the tanks backward, but I'm fairly certain they are pushed back as far as possible.

I'd really hate to melt the tanks; it really depends how much needs to be reformed

thank you for the quick response. I may end up making brackets if it doesn't interfere with the seats or Interior.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally, I was using the C5 tanks, then switched to the aluminum ones (Quick Racing Products). If I recall correctly, I think I ground down the seams on the C5 tanks to get a better fit - there were just a couple small areas where there was frame contact. But I did get them all the way back without heating the tanks. HTH

·
Premium Member
13,237 Posts
The pressure on the tanks is what keeps them in place. Get the bottom edge bolted into place, then use some vice-grips to clamp the window alum and tank covers together. Once they're clamped together, then drill your mounting holes thru the window aluminum. Make sure you don't have any wiring or hoses pinched between the chassis and tank. Doesn't look like you have the '04 tanks, and in 16 GTM's here, I've NEVER had to heat and deform a non-'04 tank. They will fit. You do NOT want a sloppy fit here, or every time you brake or turn, the tanks will be banging around in there. Once again.....the clamping pressure that the tank covers create is what holds them tightly in place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.