Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks-

footbox and 3/4" strut

So I'm about to mount a starter relay on the firewall, kind of underneath the 2x2 the firewall mounts to. I'm looking at what John? did at my427sc.com, but all of a sudden the firewall starts looking a LOT different. It appears that in my kit (it's a Mark2) there are "struts" that aren't there in a couple of the other build sites I see out there. These struts angle forward and down along the engine side of the pass and driver's footboxes, and come really close to the scattershield flange. I'm talking about the 3/4" 'diaganal' strut that's right above the tire in the attached pic.

This does not inherently present a problem, it's just got me curious and wondering if I'm missing some aluminum

I can't find enough pictures online to correlate whether this is a difference between the Mark1 and Mark2 kits, wondering if anyone knows.

I'm looking for a clean place to put the starter relay, but the way my aluminum is set up, I'll be mounting it to the "engine side" of the vertical aluminum that mounts at the front of the transmission tunnel, leaving mounting screws poking through right above the xmission tunnel in the cockpit.

So after my rambling, I guess this is what I want to know:

Are the mark1 and mark2 kits different in that the mark 2 kits have 3/4" struts that connect the trans tunnel to the 4" tubes in the engine compartment, and if not, how do I square away the firewall aluminum?

If the former is true, and those 3/4" struts are to remain visible on the firewall and on the engine side of the footboxes, anyone got a nice, clean, accessible place to mount the relay?

Thanks folks.
c

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
The forward braces were introduced with the transmission tunnel/ backbone upgrade to the Mark II frames.

Sorry cant help you with the rest.

·
Charter Member
503 Posts
I put my relay on the 3/4 tube that is right above the pass. footbox in the engine compartment. Run your batt. cable between the body and the pass. footbox and the (+) for the starter back the same way and then to the starter. The ign. wires for the harness come out of the firewall by the windshield mount ( drill a hole in the small alum. panel that completes firewall on pass. side ). Hope this makes sense to you without a picture. Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts