Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a little garage time today during the Hurricane. Used Autometer vintage gauges, Lucas toggles from Finishline and 65-66 Mustang switches for the ignition, wiper, lights and lighter. Also using Russ's signal switch. For the glove box, I made a hybrid 427-289 box. The door is a little longer and has the piping around the edge. Thanks to John Olsen for the tutorial. It was very time consuming but came out good. I had aluminum screws tigged to the face so I could connect the box after covering the dash. The box was some left over aluminum from the Breeze fan shroud and some aluminum angle. Lock is from Home Depot although I do need to add a pull for it. Now for the pics.

Mike

· FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and a couple more of the glove box.

· Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Very, very nice!!! Quite close to the look I'm going for, so expect a PM in the not-to-distant future on the piping.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

· Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
I like it!! Very nicely done!!

· Registered
252 Posts
looking good Mike!

I really like the alum glove box. I noodled around on making myself a glove box as I want to do a hybrid dash of another sort - a 289 dash in a 427 bodied car. I bought a VW beetle glovebox insert, but it doesnt quite have the volume I was looking for. I had considered making my own glove box out of alum roof flashing - now I know what the gold standard looks like!

Jim

· Registered
567 Posts
Very clean, I like it!

· Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
nice

I like it very clean looking

good job on the UPH.

Cheers

Mk4

· FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, it was a long time in the making. Good to finally have it covered and ready to install.

Mike

· Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Killer!!!!

· Registered
837 Posts
Do you happen to have a picture from the other angle, door side.Showing the gauges on that side?

· Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Beautiful work!
You said you'll look for a glovebox pull . . . I had the same problem and solved it with a press-to-open latch on the inside beside the key lock. I could just press the door to open it, when unlocked, and then close it and it would stay closed. It never came open even over big bumps and I could lock the glove box when parked. It also enabled me to open the glovebox without a key, like when the key ring is in the ignition. And, this latch is hidden so it won't mess up your perfect dash. Look in Lowe's or Home Depot cabinet latch section.
Pete

8,381 Posts
My favorite so far, also!

· Registered
4,498 Posts
nice job

looks like you used "shoulder hide" leather thats what i used it has a good grain to it, has a great patena :001_tt1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.