Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks Rick Terrill for pointing me in the right direction. Of course I will bolt the seats to the mounts after the mounts are bolted to the chassis. Debating whether or not I should fab seat back mounts as well. Karl

[ September 09, 2007, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: kgcabs ]

·
Charter Member
1,326 Posts
Hey KG where did you get those? I'm trying to figure out my mounts as well.

Scott

·
10,171 Posts
Wonder if you could weld the mounts to the floor and then bolt the seats to the mounts..about 6 1 inch beads ought to do it..that way you wouldn't have any bolts sticking up your butt..

·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott. I fabbed them.

Al. The bolts for the mounts will be under the seats. The seats will attach to the mounts through the sides of the seat mounts.

[ August 30, 2007, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: kgcabs ]

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
Karl,

you want to sit in a finished car to get some perspective on where you want to attach your seat mounts.

i've got my seats touching the trans tunnel because i wanted the room away from the door so i could get my left elbow inside the car when i drive. i really like where my seat is now...on the second try.

you're built different than me, and it may not be a problem for you, but i still think you should get a reference point before you permanently attach your seat mount and then think you need to move it again.

i'm not getting home till after 7:30 all this week, but i could come over thurs or fri night?

let me know...

·
Senior Charter Member
1,230 Posts
You should build seat back supports, as per Kirkey instructions. In certain cituations aluminum racing seats can fold over on the driver which would be BAD. I have never seen this myself but have talked about using those seats with several racers and they all warned me about it.

·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pete, Thanks. Good idea. Thursday would work for me. I would be happy to come to your place, unless you want to check out the progress.

Trevor, I will do the back supports. Thanks

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
Karl,

i'll plan on coming over to your house tonight, i do want to see your car.

i'm hoping your neighbors won't mind the sound of the car later in the evening. if that's an issue, please let me know.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Karl, I'm using the same seats as you and fabricated a mount that included a Summit seat adjustment. With the seats mounted in the car I did a trial body fit and discovered a problem with the outside top edge of the seat just touching the body! I would suggest doing a trial fit with the body on before you start drilling holes. Without the seat adjusters you may be all right.

·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple more shots in the car. Tom, seats clear fine. Thanks for the heads up. I will replace the nuts with nylocks.

Pete, Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead. See you tonight.

[ August 30, 2007, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: kgcabs ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
Great idea, I love it. I wonder if you drilled multiple holes in your mounts - then you could make your seat adjustable (would mean unbolting it, moving it slightly and rebolting it). That would make it more flexible in the long run.

·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished up the install. Reinforced the tunnel side of the seats, mounted the seat back to the chassis on the door side. Will use 3/8" bolts through the floor plates where I can and 3/16" steel rivets through the floor aluminum to mount the seat mounts. The seats feel very soild. Fantastic leg room. I am 6'4". I can completely straighten my legs. Karl

·
Charter Member
1,326 Posts
Great idea KG - hope you don't mind if I borrow it.

I have the full height Kirkeys so mine will be a little higher off the floor in order for the wings to clear the body.

What thickness of alumium did you use for the mounts?

Nice job again.

Scott

·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scott, Thanks. I used .125", 5052. I would have preferred 6061 but it would have probably cracked in the press brake. The 5052 bent just fine.

·
Junior Charter Member
352 Posts
That is really nice welding. The whole install looks incredible ! Very nice custom touch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts