I don't know if I did it the best way, but they are sure on for the duration.. I made a small bracket out of aluminium for the top and bottom of the louvre. I drilled and installed the brackets with 10-32 button head screws, placed so the tops of the screw are kinda hidden behind the louvre blades. I then glued the brackets to the inside of the body with some 2 part epoxy gel. If you are really looking around one could see them.
At $50 each, I did not want one of my louvres to fall off
First, I locates where I wanted my side emblems and then drilled three holes for "studs" that would not be seen when the emblems where installed - (I probably could have done it with two.) The studs are SS flat head machine screws.
This is a view from the other side - and you can see the nuts that will hold the studs in place.
I had a piece of aluminum angle from Home Depot, cut it to size and rounded the corners. I then attached the angle with 3 button head machine screws to the top of the louvres. You would really have to get down on you hands and knees to see them. I drilled large holes in the aluminum to fit around the nuts that are on the studs. The louvres then get bolted onto the studs with a larger washer and another nut.
They are pretty easy to remove for cleaning or access to the master cylinder area, and I don't think they will fall off. The emblems are held on with double sided, mounting tape
Jim,I took a piece of 1/4 inch channel aluminum(Home Depot) and glassed one piece above and one below the louver hole on the inside of the body,I then attached a piece of angle aluminum the each louver top and bottom ,that way you can attach the louver to the channel piece with small screws without going into the body.This is very secure and allows removal very easily. chuck
Once again John is right where he needs to be I originally used my side insignia to hold the louvre on, but my cam is too radical, and the bottom edge ended up banging and rattleing around, so I made the bottom bracket. I do like the idea of the countersunk machine screw, though.
John, any pics or advice on the elephant ears/splash panels for the front? I thought I'd ask before I went wild with the shears. It looks like I have beaucoup trimming to do up there.
Hi Gregg. I couldn't figure out how to get the front ones to fit, so I took a piece of carboard and made a template, (from the bend to the edge) Then I worked on cutting the carboard until I could actually get it to fit into the wheel well. Note - FFR designed this piece so that there is extra material at the bottom, which gets bent 90 degrees to form a tab, that is used to anchor the bottom of the splash guard to the body. I found that it was easier to just cut the tab off and used a piece of aluminum angle instead
Once I trimmed the cardboard enough to get it to fit inside, I trimmed the aluminum panel to match. Then I worked on where the two aluminum pieces fit togethor.
Finally, I worked on trimming the edge so that I had about a 1/4" gap between the aluminum and the body - which would be filled with the rubber edge seal. Also, I made sure that the bottom edge of the aluminum was about 1 1/4" inches back from the lip - so that you can not see the edge seal at all
I need to do some work on my web site this weekend - I'll try to get that step udated
when I installed my finish line louvers I used 1" alum angle , I cut it the length of the vent and used silicon to adhere them to vent when dry used the rest of the silicon to adhere to body , they havn't fallen off yet and it's a nice clean install.
I thought I had seen something like your cardboard pattern. Making the pattern from the bend to the edge is a great idea, I'm out to the garage to do the same. Did you place the splash panel in front of or behind the "F" panel bend? Damn, I may just finish this thing.
Greg - I have seen them done both ways. My splash panel is behind (on the engine side of the F panel)
The splash panels seem a little frustrating at first, but if you just take your time and do a little trimming at a time, you will be surprised how easy it was to do. I did not force or bend the panels at all - just trimmed the outer edge. I have also heard where guys force the panel inside, which will push the body out slightly. Your choice
A forum community dedicated to Factory Five owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, racing, conversions, modifications, troubleshooting and drivetrain. We discuss MK4, GTM, 818, Type 65 coupe, roadsters, and more!