Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been making reference marks with tape measure for finding center on body and it is a zigzag. What do you use as a measuring point to find center? Thanks

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
If you were to put a centerline down the car with a laser line you would see that the openings that the eye goes to are not centered on that line and things would look wacked out.

When Metal Morphous explained his steps on laying out the centerline it is much like you have already done. You have to find the points that the eye will focus on like oil cooler opening, grill opening, hood opening, scoop opening, deck openings, trunk hump etc. When you are done you will have a zig zag line. Take your time laying out stripes to take all these points into consideration. The final product will not be draft table straight but it will be straight in relation to what the eye focuses on.

You could also post or do a search in the ask an expert section, Street Rod Painter. He could do a better explanation than I could.

Mike M.

·
Charter Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did that with a string from center of grill to license plate light. It seems much better, in fact my hood scoop is even centered. What are the odds. Of course the trunk handle hole is a inch off to the left. I could glass it in and redrill. How many have done that?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
It's easy, cut the front of the car off stand it up then use a level and a tape measure.

·
Junior Charter Member
402 Posts
Hoofa,

I've never seen a picture of you. Is that golf club the right height?

Snake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts