Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post but it is long overdue. i have been looking everywhere for a 5.0 to strip down and found nothing for under 3500$ except one that was "torn in half" and sitting on the lot (I hear with flood damage too :-( ) for 1200$. Any websites or guys in my area that may be able to help me out. I live near philly, Wayne PA to be specific.
Also, i read about the pallet vs. donor posting. I have been considering that for a while but and having a very difficult time deciding whether the cost or time is more important to me for this stage of the build. Heck i just want to get started so if anyone has ideas i will certainly welcome them. Thanks guys

·
12,650 Posts
I found mine on Stang Net. THere is also trader on line. the news papers, the local trading post magazines.

Post a Want to buy HERE and the other forum.

try salvage auctions.

Try the back row at dealers. Lots of times dealers have low buck high milage cars on the back row that they are gonna take to the auction. Dont be afraid to offer a VERY LOW offer for their back row cars. Tell them you will buy it as is where is and you will never darken their door step with it again.

Look around service stations.

They are Out there.

lots of luck

earl

[ June 11, 2002, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]

·
Registered
122 Posts
I understand your plight.

I'm watching Autotrader (www.autotrader.com) for possible donors. I'm not afraid to drive a little (or a lot depending on the price) to pick up a car, so I'm doing nationwide searches for now.

You could also check with the IAAI website (www.iaai.com) and see what's available in your area.

I'm not in a huge hurry, so I'm going to hold out until I find the right deal...

·
Charter Member
284 Posts
My problem was that I bought a donor with 130K on it, and most of the parts needed a ton of cleanup, and I figured afterwards, that I'd have been better off to buy new parts.

Anyhow, I've got donor parts in Ohio to sell , if you want.
5.0 ran great, 175-185PSI on all cyls.
5 speed and clutch in fine shape.
other parts too.

see my posting from a few days ago.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this forum really is something else. Thanks for all the help guys, i will try that stuff.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Here's a place to try if you feel Iowa is not too far away, http://www.fosters-rebuildables.com . I got my donor from them and was very happy with if, it was a '93 theft recovery out of Chicago with 75,000 miles on it. They even delivered it right to my door for a small fee. They specialize in Mustang and Camaro rebuildables and donor cars. Their "parts" cars may not all be listed on their website so call them or drop them an email. You can also tell them what you want and they will let you know when they find it.

Greg

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Also, keep in mind that you can have a car shipped from anywhere in the country for less than $900. If you want to ship, do a search (I use Google) for "auto transport". A bunch of companies will turn up. You can get quotes on-line.

Good luck! Buddy

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Don't get discouraged. I found that around here, they seem to come in spurts. When I was looking, there was nothing good for less than $4k. I found one from word of mouth contact. Occationally, I pick up the local Want Ads magazine and find several as low as $400! I'd go buy them, but sold my trailer because I tend to drag home too many projects.

jack

·
7,705 Posts
Do you know any law enforcement officers? I put the word out with them and the tow companies around my area. Inside of 3 months, I picked up a '93 GT that was a stolen/recovery. It had the wheels/tires, stereo and the front seat removed and I only paid $80.00 for it.

Let them know what you want it for (some of them are gear heads too!)

Make sure you talk to the State, County and local P.D, the more that are looking the better.

Good luck,

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts