Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Cannonball Cobra (Paul) was nice enough to drive to my house to help me out. what a great day. here he is putting in my new Mallory distributor and coil. it was VERY easy, it was all a direct replacement for my (broken) Accel stuff. right down to the "Molex" wire connector.

took a few tries to get her fired up, but after letting it warm up & setting the idle, we hooked up the timing light. a little more playing around with the idle and timing, and he told me it was idling at 10°.

i couldn't believe my ears.

so we hooked up the vacuum advance, taped the doors shut, put on our seatbelts, (and temporary registration) and we went out for a little spin to see how it sounded under load.

everything is different. i felt a difference immediately pulling out of the garage. no crackling, shifts nice. it even downshifts nice. i got it up to 4,500 rpm max and it sounded good.

no bubbling when i pulled back in the garage - and it sure was nice to actually set the parking brake! but there is now a loud ticking coming from the drivers side. maybe around the valve cover, maybe it's a header leak. i'll tackle that later. :confused: :D :confused:

i have been battling this gremlin for one year now. it's finally gone. after all this time, it was the mechanicals on the distributor. i would like to thank everyone for their support, immense help, and especially thank everyone who came to my engine tuning party last week.

for my next trick, i will try a cold start -- sometime tomorrow maybe.

for now, a cold

p.s. i NEVER drink at home

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Congrats. I'm sure it feels great to have this behind you.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Way to go Eddie! Can you post up the distributor and coil part numbers you installed? A wiring diagram would be sweet as well.

Dave

BTW, my engine is in and I'm converting it to carb next.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,886 Posts
Good for you!!!!! I have been lurking on these posts for sometime now and it is nice to here the thing has been captured and tamed! Have one on me

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
Way to go Eddie! Paul is a great guy to have in the neighborhood.

·
Charter Member
996 Posts
Eddie

The noise you're hearing on the driver's side is likely axhaust leak. For some reason, my header bolts need to be snugged every couple of months at the back two bolts, driver's side only. (?)

Dave

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
AWESOME!! Congrats on exorcising that damn gremlin!!

Now we expect you to drive it to Matt's on Sat

·
OT Moderator
14,364 Posts
Congrats Eddie. I've been following your saga for some time now. Glad to see you put a knife in the heart of those pesky Gremlins!!!

Now send her off to the Bat Cave...

·
Newbie Lurker
621 Posts
Nice job Eddie! I've been lurking around while you've worked through your "issues" and am estatic that you've got it mostly worked out.

Here's to you!

Joe

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DISTRUBUTOR: Mallory 5770401 $180 off ebay

COIL: Mallory 23219 $45 (free for me as a trade) - no ballast resistor req'd

·
Senior Charter Member
509 Posts
Congrats Eddie! It's still plenty warm enough to get lots of use and miles of smiles.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Eddie:
Glad to help out a fellow New Yawker.
Tomorrow when you go to start that beauty, just give the gas pedal two short blips and that will be enough to get the fire down the dragon's throat.
She'll start like a champ,the timing was so steady I'll bet she starts on the first try.
Remember go easy on that clutch,it's new so give that and the flywheel a chance to get acquainted properly and you'll have plenty of trouble free miles ahead of you.
Hey it was fun!
Best luck to a very nice young man!!
Paul M.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...YOUNG? i'll be 37 in a few weeks. if that's young i guess i am okay!

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Glad to hear its all well now. I can relate, I had a similar problem with an ignition box. -Dan

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Eddie:
Congrats on finally putting that one to bed.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Congrats, Eddie! I fought my coolant gremlin for about 4 months. It sure felt great to put it behind me. I can only imagine a year's worth of frustration being lifted off your shoulders.

Way to go! Great team effort by the forum!

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
C'mon Eddie you know you can pass for 25,and I'll bet you get carded all the time!! :D :D
It was nice to see those gremlins take a hike tonight,but I could not done it without the help of Roger Stine,Frank Messina, and Nels Prario last week at the first meeting.
DarrenT... thanks for the kind words,if you ever need any help just let me know.
Paul M.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts