Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· FFCobra Fanatic
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, it just seems that life gets in the way...haven't really done anything with it for about two years. The car has 6k miles on it, about 100 on the fresh rebuild(pics below)...and just finished the interior minus a re-cover on the dash. The street performers were faded to...well, an ugly...thing. So I followed what some of you guys did and sprayed with dupli-color vinyl and fabric spray. Took 1 can/seat, and purchased at O'Reileys. $14 well spent! Thanks guys!

Some of the carpet didn't line up, so I had to re-cut some new pieces. Over all...I think I'm happy? I've always been my worst critic. But...low and behold, here you go.

Comments, complaints, and constructive criticism ALWAYS welcome!!!

Now, back to dealing with a cold idle issue with this new piggy-back tuner...*sigh!

I rebuilt the motor..actually about 2 years ago, put it in at the beginning of last year, took for a dyno tune and a new piggy back tuner last October, got it home to find a cold idle issue, haven't driven it at all this year...finally had the urge to start working on it as apposed to friends cars I have parked in the shop. But hey!!! Motor started!!! Still have the cold idle issue for about 40 seconds to 1 minute...starts great, but dies unless I keep it alive. Gonna unplug the tuner and see if it stays running just to make sure its not a sensor. Runs AMAZING after a minute of idle. NEVER underestimate a fully balanced rotating assembly!

· just another builder
8,223 Posts
Ha..i'm on a 6 yr build and still tinkering...i'll get ther and so will you....there's part of me that really doesn't want to finish it....but i will...eventually....keep the faith bro :w00t:

· 1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,719 Posts
Dustin,
Welcome back to the fun. It's been a long journey for you. I can't even count the years since we met and you were just at the early go-cart phase.

Carpet looks great. Maybe you will get to paint and bodywork this Spring?

Greg

· FFCobra Fanatic
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! They are appreciated!

As for paint, yeah...right. As of now, I have an '02 WRX in my shop getting all STi internals and drive-train. I also have an '08 STi sitting outside that I am fab'ing up some aluminum for the passenger wheel well intake, and I still have to get it to the tuner for a ProTune. That easily puts me into december. I just got the roadster back together after doing the power brake mod...and am in no real hurry to take the body back off. Not to mention the money that body work will cost me. And come spring...I think next summer, I am just going to enjoy driving it again. Paint will have to wait another year.

...unless there are a bunch of guys that wanna have a paint party...:)

· Premium Member
10,533 Posts
You are not alone! Didn't realize mine was a six year build so far till Quicksand said something!

Got mine in the shop on my birthday, 11/26/2006. Haven't really done anything to it in two years except drive it.

It'll get there...keep plugging away at it.

Looks great by the way!

· FFCobra Fanatic
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are not alone! Didn't realize mine was a six year build so far till Quicksand said something!

Got mine in the shop on my birthday, 11/26/2006. Haven't really done anything to it in two years except drive it.

It'll get there...keep plugging away at it.

Looks great by the way!
Thanks Doug!

· FFCobra Fanatic
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yay! More parts!

Finally bit the bullet and bought the MK4 trunk. Awesome! Now I need to look into a set of hinges, and a trunk prop. I also have the front sway bar from forte that I need to install, and I got delivery of some parts for a custom front air dam I was going to build. Ugh! Need more time in the day!

I was also going to look into doing the wheel wells and seams on the body. Main reason for the wheel wells, is that the front tires I installed (275's) rub under hard cornering. If I am planning on racing it this season, I will need to look into that so I don't damage the tires any more than racing will.

Any tips and tricks to make these first couple of steps of body work a little less daunting?! Yikes!

Here's a pic of the new trunk! SOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,001 Posts
Quick and easy 275 rubbing fix. More negative camber. If you are going to autocross much you will want it anyway. A lot of us are running 2.5 to 3 degrees. Yes, on a normal car that would wear the inside of the tire off quickly. W/ the miles most of us put on ours it is not much of an issue. Put the camber in, and install that front swaybar and I bet you are fixed. If not add 1/4 inch ride height or stiffer front springs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.