Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 4 wheel alignment done last week. Installed the body on Sunday. Aligning the body to the frame, modifying the door hinges, making a cold air box like in the picture below, then off to Ken Pike aka Street Rod Painter in Yuba City, CA. Color will be Porsche Carmine Red with Arctic White numbers. No stripes

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,125 Posts
It is looking great Bill. keep us posted on the paint progress pls.

·
Charter Member
6,122 Posts
those goodyear tires and pin drives make the cobra for sure.

·
Registered
520 Posts
those goodyear tires and pin drives make the cobra for sure.
Trevor-

I agree with you. However, I also like how Bill "bronzed" the spinners. I think they just add the right amount of contrast, and help draw your eye to the awesome wheel/tire combo.

At least, I like the way they look...

Regards,

Steve

·
Super Moderator
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poster board template complete. Time to transfer to aluminum

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Bill.. Hi. been away from the from the forum for a long time. Man.... you have not lost your touch ... I thought your GT build was amazing.....this one is equally impressive!! You sir are a master craftsman.

·
Super Moderator
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After test fitting the template I made a first article in aluminum. Some dimensions were off requiring some tweaking to get the first article to fit. But it’s very close

·
Super Moderator
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I then made another full size paper template with the new dimensions. Checked and rechecked to verify accuracy (not easy with the engine installed and the car on jacks)

·
Super Moderator
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last night I finally laid out the new dimensions on my first production piece of .063 6061-T6 aluminum. Checked and rechecked to the second template and the car. Seems perfect. Now waiting for a special sized hole cutter for the air horn holes to arrive Wednesday. Time to make some chips!

·
Charter Member
1,559 Posts
Bill - over the years your craftsmanship has always amazed me. You fight your way through challenges and come out with an amazing work of art. This build is no different. I would like to look through your GT40 build again. Do you still have that available?

Thanks,
Geoff

·
Super Moderator
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No. I deleted the website and pictures

·
Super Moderator
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Received my new carbide tip 2.125 hole cutter for the air horns. Cuts like a hot knofe through butter. Expensive but so much better than the shit at Home Depot or Lowes

·
Super Moderator
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Air horn holes and air horn retainer mounting holes complete. Now waiting for another carbidemtipped cutter to cut the fuel inlet reliefs.

·
Super Moderator
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nearly finished with the base plate. Still have to cut the access openings for the needles and jets.

·
Super Moderator
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cut my first access hole to access the needles and jets. What a bear. But got one done. Took one hour. Three more to go. Ugh! Time for a beer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts