Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on my local club forum, but thought I'd ask here too (never hurts to ask, and I know there is always a wealth of knowledge here).

My go-kart is in-process, not quite ready yet for license and title, but close. Wanted to find out what I don't know, since I have time to prepare.
I HATE SURPRISES.

In Missouri.
Read the Section 11 document a couple times.
Ok, I get it. Applying for a "Kit Motor Vehicle" and will be issued a "Specially Constructed Motor Vehicle Title / Replica Motor Vehicle".

Need to complete an Application for Missouri Title and License (Form-108).
no problem, 2 questions.
1. I'll be registering it as a "1965 Ford bodystyle????" (Roadster?? 2-door?? (I know I don't want to say Shelby Cobra)

2. What HorsePower do I list? (it only allows 2 digits! LOL!) low-ball it: 50? or max it: 99?

btw, it says I do not need a Safety Inspection "New (not previously titled) motor vehicles are exempt".

I also need to fill out the Form-551. ($25 for this lovely form!)
couple quick questions there:
1. Obviously I'll list the Kit/frame in the Major Component Parts Replaced section. Should I also list the motor, trans, and rear-end? Or wait for them to ask me? (it states to list: cowl, rear clip, frame, body, cab, front clip or front-end assembly). bill of sale and copy of title required.

Looks like I should list the motor and trans under the next section: "list any other essential component parts which were replaced. ie: bumper, doors, fender, grille, hood, trunk lid, MOTOR or TRANSMISSION". only bill of sale required.
also, no reference to rear-end anywhere here. If they don't ask, I'm not providing.

OK and one last final dumb question. Just asking, (I could potentially have it licensed earlier).
Can it be inspected in go-kart, without the body, windshield, and lights? :confused:
seats, belts, and horn are installed. :cool:

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
I would think body style would be "Convertible"..or perhaps "2dr Convertible"

Only allow 2 digits for HP...:confused1:

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Mark, my body style says; TUDOR, HP is listed as 51, but I wish I had put down less. In truth I dont think you actually need to put down anything, the title for my Toyota doesnt have anything listed for HP. If you must, I would put down something in the low 20's. The higher the HP, the more tax!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
just put what HP the motor was for the year of the engine.

i put 1965 cobra

get all bill of sales notorized

motor, trnny, chassis, rear end is all they are looking for.
its kind of like making a drawing for a permit to build limit the amount of info and becomes less to pay taxes on.

if you plan to register the plates that you have you can call the number i have and verify if its been used. when you go to Jeff city then get the plates done when you are there.
good luck

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guy,
All of my Bill of Sales are notarized (but I do need to get copies, if they need the originals).
The form doesn't say anything about the rear-end, it's an IRS and I bought all pieces separately and had it assembled.

Leo, fyi, registering it as a Cobra can be dangerous, I personally know someone that was contacted last year by the county taxing agency and said that they had discovered during reviews that his car was under-valued (he's been paying taxes on it for years!) and he had been under-paying taxes on his Cobra. They sent him a new bill for his car now valued at over $100k! He disputed it and won, but what a pain!

I'll probably register it as a 1965 Ford Convertible or Tudor. 40 HP
(I believe your license fee is based on HP).

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
thanks guy,
all of my bill of sales are notarized (but i do need to get copies, if they need the originals).
The form doesn't say anything about the rear-end, it's an irs and i bought all pieces separately and had it assembled.

Leo, fyi, registering it as a cobra can be dangerous, i personally know someone that was contacted last year by the county taxing agency and said that they had discovered during reviews that his car was under-valued (he's been paying taxes on it for years!) and he had been under-paying taxes on his cobra. They sent him a new bill for his car now valued at over $100k! He disputed it and won, but what a pain!

I'll probably register it as a 1965 ford convertible or tudor. 40 hp
(i believe your license fee is based on hp).
they will ask about the rear-end but do some research

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.