Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK
Heres where i start to use words like thingamabob and whatamacallit.
The MK 4 kit came with a plastic in line filler neck for the radiator hose assembly. So that aint gonna work for me so i started to look at polished ones at jegs and summit (forte doesnt have them listed) Then i hear about the burping problem and see the Forte de gas tank and guess i have to put one of those in. Then i checked a photo of a cobra i saw in So Cal last year that had the filler neck assembly bolted to the block. Now that is at the highest point. I have been searching for a filler neck assembly that would bolt to the block (351 W) and cannot seem to locate a source. Would this work and have any of you guys gone away from the in line filler neck approach and if so where did you get the assembly.

Sam

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
I wouldn't use a plastic one either, but many builders use a T filler set up, and don't have burping issues whatsoever.

I still can't figure out why some do..:confused:

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,252 Posts
It shouldn't be that complicated, or expensive. I use a standard thermostat housing (chrome), a stock Mustang upper hose, and an off the shelf filler neck from Summit Racing.

I never have problems with burping. But I also drill a small hole in the thermostat itself. The thermostat gets installed with the hole at 12 o'clock. That makes it an open system and no air gets trapped.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,409 Posts
Sam,

I have a set-up similar to Bob's and your welcome to stop by to look at it.

I haven't driven much yet, but I did have to get all the air out so I could run the engine for charging the A/C system.

I have a stock '88 GT engine and did not take the housing off to drill the hole in the thermostat. It might have taken a little longer but I did get all the air out.

Regards, Rick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.