Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost a year ago we moved away from suburban DC. There I was used to seeing military planes and choppers because we were maybe 3 miles from Quantico Marine Base and within 30 miles of probably a dozen bases all around the area. Now we are out in the Blacksburg Va area. We are maybe 2 miles from the edge of the Radford Army Ammunition base. One nice benefit is a great fireworks display every 2-3 months. But also 1-2 times per week we have fighter planes flying here. I usually don't see them (lots of trees and low cloud cover) but can definitely hear them. One sighting was a low pass right over the house. I would guess maybe at a 1000ft. or less. W/ so many trees I could see twin tails but couldn't tell if they were vertical or splayed apart at the top. So F 15, 22 or 35. If he wasn't in afterburner, he sure was at full throttle. So I wonder why. I actually enjoy it. But I am curious why they are here. Is it just getting in hours at the stick and they can do stuff over a military facility that they can't do over the general public. It's not just a nav practice because they wouldn't need to be low for that. Ideas?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Likely stick time...hopefully. We're just south of PA and have A-10's fly over all the time just getting their time in.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,517 Posts
Almost a year ago we moved away from suburban DC. There I was used to seeing military planes and choppers because we were maybe 3 miles from Quantico Marine Base and within 30 miles of probably a dozen bases all around the area. Now we are out in the Blacksburg Va area. We are maybe 2 miles from the edge of the Radford Army Ammunition base. One nice benefit is a great fireworks display every 2-3 months. But also 1-2 times per week we have fighter planes flying here. I usually don't see them (lots of trees and low cloud cover) but can definitely hear them. One sighting was a low pass right over the house. I would guess maybe at a 1000ft. or less. W/ so many trees I could see twin tails but couldn't tell if they were vertical or splayed apart at the top. So F 15, 22 or 35. If he wasn't in afterburner, he sure was at full throttle. So I wonder why. I actually enjoy it. But I am curious why they are here. Is it just getting in hours at the stick and they can do stuff over a military facility that they can't do over the general public. It's not just a nav practice because they wouldn't need to be low for that. Ideas?
Do you suppose the Pilot has a friend on the Forum that isn't happy with some of your responses and designated your property as a test fighter attack sight?

Regards. ?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you suppose the Pilot has a friend on the Forum that isn't happy with some of your responses and designated your property as a test fighter attack sight?

Regards. ?
Naw. I actually enjoy seeing them. I am just wondering why they are at this location.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,096 Posts
When the whole house is shaking and the window rattling, just remember, that's the sound of freedom!

My house has a lot of state medivac choppers going overhead. As much as it's annoying, I remind myself that chances are there is someone on there having a very bad day.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the whole house is shaking and the window rattling, just remember, that's the sound of freedom!

My house has a lot of state medivac choppers going overhead. As much as it's annoying, I remind myself that chances are there is someone on there having a very bad day.
Absolutely. At our last house my wife worked w/ a woman whose husband was a Marine working at Quantico. First summer we were there they were building a new high school maybe 3 miles away. I was hearing a bunch of explosions and thought they must be blasting some rock. Wife mentioned it at work next day and the Marine wife said, nope that is the sound of freedom. They are practicing XYZ at Quantico this week.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I lived in Williston, Vermont for about 28 years. The Green Mountain Boys are stationed at the Burlington Airport and I just about always stop to watch them as they take off and head east over the mountains.

While teaching Tech Ed in high school, several times we took a group of students to their facility at the airport. We got to see the planes up close and observe the maintenance taking place on the jet engines. Impressive. Just as we left Vermont the F35's were arriving. I'll miss hearing and seeing them fly over.

Yes, some don't get it but it is the sound of freedom and that is part of why I stop and watch them as they fly over.

George

·
Registered
4 Posts
Never gets old...

I am not in your area, but I looked on an Aviation Sectional Chart and and there are few military low level traning routes in your area, one is VR43 and it passes the western side of Radford. The sound you hear is the sound of freedom. I am near McGuire AFB and the C-17 and MK-10 Tankers fly over all the time.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not in your area, but I looked on an Aviation Sectional Chart and and there are few military low level traning routes in your area, one is VR43 and it passes the western side of Radford. The sound you hear is the sound of freedom. I am near McGuire AFB and the C-17 and MK-10 Tankers fly over all the time.
Every once in a while I go to youtube and look at low-level passes. The ones over water are very spectacular w/ a plane 50-100 ft up causing a huge rooster tail. I saw one more recently where the spectators are on the level ground over something like the Grand Canyon so they get to look down on the planes. So cool to see. 6-7 yrs ago a friend and I went to Annapolis for the Blue Angels show at Naval Academy graduation. This was taken on Friday as they were practicing for the Saturday event.
IMG_1768 by craig stuard, on Flickr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts