Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of this page:

http://factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/roadster/mark3/mk3update.html

"The MkIII’s that are being delivered right now are identified easily by their black gel coated bodies (among other differences).  We have extended the Mk II discount ($1,200 off in parts/options), based on customer demand, through August 17, to give everyone a chance to take advantage of this great deal.  After that date, we will only sell the newer version Mark III's.  A complete list of the Mk III upgrades will follow the changeover."

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
Black gel coat? I thought the were white? Are the black ones the second version of the wider body? (Doesn't the mkIII have a wider body?)

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
The FFR web site link is Roadster Update

Maybe the color "black" is a typo for "white"??

Mk III only slightly wider at the rear. Use same rim backspace as Mk II for now.

This $1200 off in options/parts on a Mk II is a very attractiive offer. These are well sorted out products that fit the 5.0 and the 351 engines like a glove. Unless you are going for a big block or a 4.6, the Mk II deal is a very worthy consideration.

·
15,282 Posts
My MKIII was white gelcoat, and laid up like a mess. Read Dave Smith's sticky about a few bodies that slipped out done the "old way." Thank goodness Ken Pike (SRP) caught mine and remediated it. I wonder if they'll switch to black gelcoat with the bodies now done the right way?

I'd call the wider hips in the rear more than "slight." It's tough to argue with Mr. Johnson, but I got lucky and tucked in a '94 solid axle and 315s without a problem.

I regret the modular motor choice, just because it's so new, largely undocumented, and the wiring harness is a fright. Get the MKII deal if you're going to use a 351 -- it's a steal! The MKIII is still a great option with the modern donor, just make sure you know what you're getting into. I didn't, and I'm not sure FFR did at the time the order was placed either!

Cheers, John

·
Charter Member
1,577 Posts
The Mark III can still use the "old" donor Mustang right?

Nevermind - just looked at the link. Answer is yes.

Geoff

·
Registered
371 Posts
FYI, that link is 3 months old. I doubt the August 17th date is still firm. I suspect they'll continue to offer some kind of promotion on Mk II's until they clear their inventory. The July 16th postcard stated they still had 70 Mk II kits, and the special applies only until production dates are filled.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You'd think if they edited the page in August and added some substantive details regarding revised end of production dates, they would at least change the date at the top of the page to say "August 2004" instead of "May 2004". :rolleyes:

·
1,123 Posts
I spoke with FFR yesterday and they confirmed that the August 17 is still their cut off date. I have asked for the last Mark II that is to be built and my shipping date is August 28th. But then again the date has been moved 5 times since April.

·
Junior Charter Member
67 Posts
I just had a chance to be up and close with one of the MIII prototypes, we had a MKII there at the time in addition.

I think the width of the rear end is more than a little wider, it was noticable and made the car look better and it had 315's in it. I would also say that it looks as it the "perky butt" has changed somewhat and seems lower or something like that.

Couple other observations: the passenger foot box was uncomfortable (Im 5' 10") they added room by dropping the box and it is difficult to get the feet feeling good, I woudl try to move my foot so that it was bent but where the drop is I could not set my left foot flat.

Also not much room with the 4.6 in there.

There are a few other items but I am sure those will come out soon.

But the rear of the car was sharp looking.

Just an on driveway observation

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Gordon Levy measured one at his place and said it was an inch or so wider is all. That's only 1/2" per side +/-. The big difference is the inside. Wide tires are easy because the frame is not in the way of deep backspace rims.

·
Senior Charter Member
344 Posts
I’m not sure if mine is going to be the last, but my ship date for my MKII is September 13th. To be fair though, I scheduled to pick it up that date because of my calendar, not theirs.

Dave Maksymetz

·
Registered
59 Posts
Anyone know if the MARK III has been altered to be taller in the engine compartment? I just picked up a 2004 MACH 1 donor car and the engine looks huge compaired to the 302's I've used in the past. It looks like the engine will be to wide and to tall to fit....No turning back now, I already have to donor but I'm wondering outloud before I place the order with FFR.

Joe D.

·
Non-Traditionalist (I'm not a purist, just look at
3,008 Posts
Joe D.,

It's still a little work, but the MKIII does have a 4.6 option that allows the usage of the new Mod Motor like the one in your Mach I donor.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Joe,

welcome to the MODness !

Your Mach 1 engine will probably fit ok in and under the hood.
I'm building a MKIII with a 2003 Cobra engine... the hood definately needs to be cut open to fit the supercharger and TPS
Your Mach 1 engine also does not have dual serpentine belts system on it like my 03 Cobra engine, so it'll clear the front 4" tube/member on the MKIII frame without major mods.
when you place your order tell FFR for 4into4 exhaust.
also, Mach1s have a 5 speed tranny (or auto), 03/04 Cobras have 6 speed T56 trannies (longer), so you'll be ok.

I've been doing a lot of mods to fit the 03 Cobra IC pump and aftercooler and IC coolant reservoir, place spacers between the motor mounts, etc.
Your Mach1 engine will drop right in, I think it will also clear the hood!
so get your order in... a MKIII !
also, Roger Stine has done a diet on my 03 Cobra wiring harness and we'll be trying it very soon!
congrats! check my signature for my progress on "SuperCobra"

SERGIO
---------------------
"Project SuperCobra" underway....
2003 SVT Cobra Donor with only 5K miles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts