Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get the dash done this weekend. Is the FFR supplied dash covering any good? It seems to look ok. Should I put any padding underneath it considering it already has some padding on it? If so what type/thickness padding do you guys recommend? Am I better off going with leather or some pleather type vinyl? I'll be using 3M 77 Spray Adhesive to put it on. Thanks.
J_B

·
Justa Member
1,225 Posts
JB,
I used the stock stuff and it works & looks good(IMHO). I wouldn't put any additional padding behind it. The little bit of padding on the back is perfect once the gauges are snugged down. I would think additional padding might make the dash look "puffy" :eek: :eek: :eek:

just my .02
oj

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
Yes it's fine. I did mine in leather. The leather looked wrinkled even after leaving it flat for a few days. I seperated the foam backer from the leather and put the foam on the dash first. Then I glued the leather to the foam. Perfect! no wrinkles! G.

·
Junior Charter Member
371 Posts
Thank you Glen!

I haven't done my tan leather yet but I did unroll it and it's all wrinkled because FFR rolled it with the leather facing out. This makes the leather stretch more than the backing. If they just rolled the other way there wouldn't be a problem. Now I know how to get around it

Thanks~

Dennis

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
I really like the way Larry´s dash turned out. I think he didnt spend too much on it, and it is not the FFR vinyl. The padding looks real good, too:

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
FWIW, I have no kick about the FFR vinyl dash covering, but wanted a differernt look. Chris BAiley and I went together and bought a cowhide. Cost about $100 2 years ago. It's soft black leather, and you can make enough dashboard covering for 4 cars I bet. Glue 1/8" closed cell foam sheet from an upholstery shop behind it, perfect padded look. We have enough left over for some door panels and misc. trim. Just an alternative you may want to consider.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
We-ve got a local high end upholstery shop guy covering our dashes and glove box doors for us and he felt there was no reason to replace the FFR vinyl- he thought it was pretty good stuff. However, if you need extra, the $50+ that FFR charges for a small roll is ridiculous.

IMHO, extra padding behind the dash covering looks very "kit car-ish" and not very period correct. Our upholstery guy is trying to make everything look '60's British style, with piping around the glove box door, etc.

·
Charter Member
483 Posts
I used the FFR cover, but removed the padding. It went on well and looks good.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
Dennis, good luck it will come out great. I was very happy with the results. I think Larry J's dash has a thicker padding he used instead so if you like the deep look give him a yell. I had already done mine or I would have used the thicker as Larry has. It looks more plush and cushy! G.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I kinda like the supplied covering...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.