Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the initial looking around phase and I like the FFR a lot. It seems like a good idea to build a car using parts from mostly the same car, seems as though replacement parts would be easier to find, etc.

Having said that,the only thing I dislike about the FFR so far is that it looks to me like the roll bar is noticably taller than on other kits. The roll bar seems to be well above the height of the windscreen. Is this true or am I mistaken? Is the bar itself taller or is it where the bar mounts on the FFR in a higher location?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Senior Charter Member
337 Posts
The bar is taller and thicker than most for safety and will pass most track inspections.

Some folks have roll bars with a lower profile custom bent as the two legged type.

Steven

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is a roll bar required by the SCCA for autocross? I actually think the car looks better without it. The first time I saw a Cobra was in the movie GUMBALL RALLY. If I went with the roll bar I would probably want two, driver and passenger. I'm not tall, under 5'10" so I don't really need a tall one.

Are the bars bolted or welded?

·
Senior Charter Member
337 Posts
I ordered my roadster with dual rollbars (for resale) but will not be mounting them. I want the clean Roadster look. I'm also deleting the hood scoop, using full bumpers, and going underbody with the exhaust.

Steven

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
Hey, is this the same Steve on Cobraforum who was doing undercar exhaust? I'm curious how that's been working out.

Seems you're build is pretty close to how I want to do mine. May I ask how you removed the hood scoop? From the pictures it looks like they gave you a hood from the factory without a scoop (which I'm sure they don't have) Thanks

-steve in nj-

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
You want that puppy a little higher than your head in case you roll it, I wouldn't lower anymore though you can.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
I am not an expert (not even a novice!) but those that are have explained it this way to me:

1. Some (many/all?) events/tracks require that the roll bar be a certain height *over* your *helmet*. I think it was either 2" or 3".

2. For your safety in a car like this you should draw an imaginary line from the top of the roll bar to the top of the nose of the car bacause in a roll over it is more than likely that the windsheild will collapse so only the nose and roll bar will protect you. Bottomline you need to be sure your head is lower than the that imaginary line.

Given this information as I look at other (non FFR) Cobra replicas I question the safety of the lower roll bars.

p.s. I had originally considered shortening mine as well for aesthetic reasons until those with more experience shared the above.

-M

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: Matt Kennedy ]

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I initially saw the same issue with FFR's "high" and "thick" roll bar. However, now when I look at other Cobra replicas, the skinny and short rollbars almost look like a "joke". In other words, I've grown to dislike the "original" look of the roll bar, and find the FFR look here to be second to none.

These cars aren't even close to being "safe" by today's standards on manufactured vehicles, but this bit of insurance might help some day.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My friend with an SPF is now looking to increase the height and thickness of his roll bar so he will clear inspection at the local track. Yes, it's high on the FFR, but it's also heavy duty, will protect you, and will pass at the local track.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ford Man, The roll bars are okay in the FFR if the car is titled and registered as a 60's Cobra (replica), allows for the "vintage" look that the events like. Most likely it would not pass SCCA muster since it is only a 3 point bolt-in unit and not 6" above the helment. However I see them at a lot of events both auto crossing or road events, so there's a loophole somewhere. Ask you local Chapter Tech guys about the FFR and whats required for you. Once you get a sticker and logbook then it'll pass at most any other Region. Unless you have a hardtop most NHRA tracks frown on this style for 11 second cars and it may not pass there. There are always exceptions. No sonic checkers, blind tech guys, ans so on.

·
985 Posts
Driving around in the daily driver/next donor car last night I got behind a Porsche Boxster with dual rollbars. I laughed when I saw the drivers head sticking up above the roll bar. FFR roll bars are tall for a good reason, SAFETY.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Steve in NJ

I did the body prep for Steve in Irvine. My boat yard in Dana Point is the perfect place to do 3 or 4 FFR bodies each month. The hood scoop removal was an interesting project and had to appear that it was never there. The hood hinge was also epoxyed to bottom of the hood and faired so that it appears to also be part of the molded hood. I always fair the bottom of the hood for a finished appearance. We are also very particular about door fit. After the primer work is done I always insist everything get mounted up and then disassembled for the paint job.

Roger

·
Senior Charter Member
337 Posts
Yes, Steve in NJ, it's me (Steven FFR 2716) from Cobraforum. Since they've been down all week I'm replying to posts here on FFCars.

Like Roger said about the body. I want a trues original Roadster look.

I have the underbody exhaust all mapped out except for the routing around the fuel tank, which shouldn't be a problem. I'll be using flat-oval tubing from Spintech from the cats to the muzzlers.

I just made a dolly for the chassis, and will be painting the frame this weekend.

Steven FFR 2716
Irvine, CA

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!

I agree with the safety angle, I guess I would have to decide whether I wanted the clean street car look as opposed to the SC look. If I go with the bar I would go with two as I mentioned before and probably black so the height might not be as noticable as the chrome.

Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts