Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused, =)

ok, the rear lower arms can be mounted in 2 positions. Lower is for more traction, and the upper well I guess is less traction, right? As it stands I have them in the lower position. Every time I hit a bump or something on the road the reinforcement welded on the bottom of the arms scrape the road. It's pretty loud too. WHen I look at it though, it seems if I move it to the upper hole it really won't make a difference as too where that section of the arms is situated. If I raise the suspension in the rear it won't change the height of the control arm obviously. So is this a problem for anyone else? Is there a solution, or am I missing something here? The circled area in the pic below is what is hitting the ground.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
The arms are installed in only one direction. The spring saddle goes towards the front of the car and is in the pointed up position.

Is it possible to post a pic of how they are installed? It might help.

Mike

·
Charter Member
625 Posts
What Mike says may be true but if you look closely at the assembly manual for the rear suspension you will see what is incorrectly listed as the "driver's side". It is actually the "passenger side" based on the front mount.

If you look closer, and on the right side of view, you can see the plate you are referring to and it is mounted forward.

Because I'm going with the coilovers, I was a bit confused about the mounting also. Because of other concerns I wanted to install them "correctly" because I may go with the rear swaybar. Based on the responses so far, I'm no longer sure that the manual is correct.

Hopefully, additional responses to your thread will straighten both of us out.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am running rear coil overs, so i don't have the spring perch....if you mount those arms upside down the reinforced part will touch the rear aluminum cockpit. My 1st instinct is to chop it off like Aaron Silidker says. Has no one else faced with this issue?

[ June 04, 2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: o2world ]

·
FFCobra Addict
925 Posts
I would not be so quick to chop it off. From everything that I've seen, like Joe said " those circled parts should be towards the front of the car". If you look at the FFR video, that's the direction they show them as well. The problem I see is this: if you do a 180 with the arms, then the coil perch would be in a different location. I think it would be best to call FFR on this one. If you're never going to run a sway bar, then I GUESS chopping it off would be ok. But if you're running with a lot of power, I'd leave it for any extra strength it may provide....

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are towards the front, like you said, if you look at it like you had a coil perch, they would only go one way, and that's the way I have it mounted. I will call FFR about this. If anyone else has any experience with this, please chime in. Thnx

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts
Those are screwed up! The spring perches should be on the other end. Send those back and get ones that are welded correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I mounted them the other way, and using the upper hole at that, and it made a little difference, but it still rubs under semi hard acceleration, and hitting bumps. I called FFR about it, and they are just as confused as I am......

·
Really Senior Member
540 Posts
Well, I too am a little confused as to your problem. The picture at the top shows the correct LCA's. But with coil overs, it's not a concern to you. I have the same and used them successfully b4 I converted to coil overs. As was stated above the wide flange for sway bar goes towards the front and the spring perch would be at the rear. I don't know what you are talking about as far as upper and lower mounting holes. I only had one choice for the lowers. What is your rear ride height set at? I'm running about 4 3/4" and have never had mine bottom out under any driving condition. I could see where if your ride height was less than 4" you might have a problem. That flange is 3" off the ground just sitting in my garage.
Doug

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I figured out what the problem is. It seems my driveshaft is hitting the driveshaft loop when you hit big bumps. I raised the susupension higher in the rear and it got beter, but with 2 people in the car it still hits if you hit kinda of dip in the road. I need to modify the loop a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts