Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just purchased a built MKI. It had one owner, the builder. I am told it was one of the first kits FFR sold back in 1996. I called FFR and they have no record of the buyer. I am trying to locate an FFR number. Where would I find one? Is it located on the chasis somewhere? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Greg

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Look below the steering shaft, just below the dash, on the main 2" square tube that runs the width of the car.

Basically, just open the driver's door, get on your knees on the pavement, and look under the dash where the steering shaft is. You'll see it. At least the MkIII's have it in that location.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
If it's an early one, the only number you can find on the car is the frame number. This was their in-house way of tracking the frame and is a weld bead number inside on the rear 2x3 frame cross member. You can see it by removing the driver's rear wheel and it's forward of the upper shock mount. FFR should (maybe) have a record of it. If not, post it here and people will chime in with at least a range of the dates when it was made. The seller, if he was the builder, should be able to inform you of the FFR number, which was only the kit number and only signifies when the final payment was made on the kit.

·
Junior Charter Member
11 Posts
OK, now I'M confused. Is the number the one that was written on the nose of the car body or the one welded on the frame? Or is there one on the reciept?
AS

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
Greg:
On my MKI (purchased in 1998) the DMV used the kit number as the vin number. The only number on the early MKIs would be the chassis number which is welded inside the opening of the 2X3 tube on the rear driver side. My chassis number is slightly higher than my kit number.
Jim

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had kit 1064 purchase May 1996. There were no indication of the FFR # on the frame anywhere. It had #1064 in grease pencil on the the getcoat and thats it.

Lloyd

·
Junior Charter Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a picture

<hr>

Seller/Builder does not remember the FFR #. Supposedly this is one of the first cars Jeff Miller ever painted......

Greg

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Originally posted by JimmyZ:
Greg:
On my MKI (purchased in 1998) the DMV used the kit number as the vin number. The only number on the early MKIs would be the chassis number which is welded inside the opening of the 2X3 tube on the rear driver side. My chassis number is slightly higher than my kit number.
Jim
That's where your frame number will be.
INSIDE the frame rail. It's just a number formed from weld bead.

RR

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,722 Posts
What's on your title for the vin?My MkI bought from the builder in Va was titled w/ the kit number as the vin. The number inside the 2x3 was totally different and I just assume FFR has a book somewhere that correlates the two numbers.

·
Junior Charter Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its a CA generated VIN, no FFR number on it. I already had checked that. So the frame number is different than the FFR #. So I pretty much cannot find out the true FFR number for it if Factory Five does not have record of it?

Greg

·
Finally starting!!!
480 Posts
Sounds like me. I bought a built mkI last year and figured that since I was doing a complete teardown/rebuild this winter I'd find something, but no luck. And I bought it from the original owner who bought it in 1996 and said it was one of the first kits out, but doesn't remember the number.

Oh well...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts