Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Charter Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received from factory five – New SN95 spindles and 5 lug hubs and the spindles are .004 bigger than the 5 lug hub bearing and wont slide on. What’s everyone doing to make these bearing fit on the spindles?

·
section 8
5,135 Posts
I cant remember for sure but they may be an interference fit, much like a harmonic balancer .Dont try it yet wait for the real answer Bob

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
0.004" is quite an interference fit. I'd wait for others to chime in with the diameter of their spindles (I've got Fox spindles so I can't help there). Bearings, in general, have extremely tight tolerances so I really doubt the bearings are undersized. I would question the spindle diameter before the bearing diameter. However, if you can find country of origin stickers anywhere, I would be leary of the part(s) from China...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
This is a common issue with the FFR supplied spindles and hubs. We've solved that issue a number of times before with name brand hubs (Timken or Federal Mogul) - But I think that was with a line to line fit or .001" interference. heating the hub to about 200 F will help but I'm not thinking it will grow enough to clear .004 interference.

·
Out of Time
1,523 Posts
Heat the hubs to 200* like mentioned above, and put the spindles in the freezer for a day. That might be enough?
This is what I did.. went on like butter.

I was concerned when FFR recalled the steering arm bolts (that necessitated taking off the spindles). Slid right off, then slid right back on.

I never measured the exact interference. They would not go on without doing the heat/cool trick.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I just received from factory five – New SN95 spindles and 5 lug hubs and the spindles are .004 bigger than the 5 lug hub bearing and wont slide on. What’s everyone doing to make these bearing fit on the spindles?
bench press is how i did mine, pic a soft race to fit over the bearing. crib up the backside of spindle.
another option is scotch-brite pad around the spindle.
the nut that goes on the spindle and over the bearing is a one time use and it will require a torque wrench that will do around 220ftlbs if my memory serves me correct.
also you may want to check your measuring device too

good luck and happy wrenching

·
Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
Looking up the hub bearing on a parts house website, it's a earless no bolt on. Which makes it a press fit, not necessarily a slip. Most individual front bearings that don't bolt on are interference, to prevent the race from rotating and galling under load. It's the same for the older A-series bearings, you had to drive the inner race into the brake hub. Now they are pre - installed. (Which is actually pretty lame, nice, but wth?)

NGLI #2 High temp wheel bearing grease is rated about 400* continuous by what little I can find quickly on the net. That would imply the seal should handle it, too, but don't take my word for it.

I get the impression engineers opt for a slight interference because that way the worst case tolerance stack will still be tight and the bearing won't hammer the shaft or rotate from stiction. You should hear the guys building AR15's when they discover tolerance stack issues. The average consumer has little knowledge of it, and usually makes a big deal about it being bad quality control. It's not.

With the large number of different suppliers scattered globally, it's a wonder we get anything to go together at all without hand fitting every part. Things are pretty good considering.

Nonetheless, parts guys refund bearings all the time because "it didn't fit!" It's a very careful dance to suggest the installer doesn't have a clue when the customer is ALWAYS right . . .

BTW, my micrometers and calipers aren't certified at home, variance can amount to +/- .001 by industry standards. Measurements are to be taken with a grain of salt, simply because they cannot be absolute. What I can trust them to do within my experience is give me the difference if I should change something. I've got 3 dial calipers, just like 12 foot measuring tapes, they won't read identically on the exact same dimension tested.

Good enough for government work. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine slid on without doing anything. It was a prescion fit but they went.

Joe

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Hi,
The hub is a precision fit that is not a press or interference fit. If you press it on, it will require to be pressed off. Not the way Ford designed it.....

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
wait a minute Mike i beg to differ

so when you heat up a spindle and cool the other your telling me you wont have to press it off:shifty:eek:r vice versa
metalurgy wins
kind of like sticking your finger in the mouth of an eel:evil:

pressing the bearing on just keeps the bearing in alignment as its pressed on

i will bet ford had the bearings pressed on the spindles, these are not a tapered shaft

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
so when you heat up a spindle and cool the other your telling me you wont have to press it off:shifty:eek:r vice versa
metalurgy wins
kind of like sticking your finger in the mouth of an eel:evil:

pressing the bearing on just keeps the bearing in alignment as its pressed on

i will bet ford had the bearings pressed on the spindles, these are not a tapered shaft
You would loose that bet. The sn-95 and later hub, bearing assembly just slide on and off. The clamping force of the spindle nut hold the bearings in place.

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Hi Leo,
Before Factory 5 came out with the complete kit I used to purchase & sell about 10 sets per month of new Ford spindles & BCA hubs and every one of them would fit with precision fit without any press work. I have NEVER pressed a BCA hub onto a Ford spindle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.