Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm flying from Phoenix to Hartford on Wednesday and plan on making the trip to Factory Five to possibly place my order on Saturday morning, I was wondering if you had to do it again, what would you get for options that you didn't first time or what wouldn't you get. #1 I'm undecided about the EFI, I like the look of a carb'd 302, is there any harm in going with the painless wiring and later if I decide to go with the EFI setup, just using the one from the donor? Are ther pieces that don't come with the painless kit that I'd need should I decide to go EFI? #2. Powder Coated Frame, I'm leaning towards the powder coated frame option just as a convenience as I don't have a trailer to haul the frame back and forth to a powder coater. #3. I'm thinking chrome roll bar, chrome quick jacks, and auto meter gauges, I've heard that you can purchase the gauges for less through Summitt. I don't know about the price of taking the roll bar and quick jacks to a plater for chrome, would this be less expensive? #4.I do not plan on racing the car (at least at this point), so would any of the suspension upgrades be something I really need or will the donor & supplied pieces be sufficent? I suppose I could upgrade later. I just don't want start this project and all of a sudden start wishing I'd done this or that..Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated greatly...Last I spoke to someone there they said they would be able to ship in two weeks!!! I'm really looking forward to the visit, Just hope seeing a coupe doesn't throw a monkey wrench into the plan...!
Thanks, Don M

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Painless harness is very nice. I can't imagine going back to the stock harness after wiring the car (pita). By the way, the chassis will fit in a pickup truck bed no problem. The new footbox round tube on the MK II slides right up to the wheel humps in the pick up bed. Took mine to the powder coater like that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don, Just my opion but a great part of the frame is not seen and the money would give you a better return with the tubular lower control arms front and rear, rear coil overs, and the new 3 link. You may not plan on racing/ax now but that what these machines are all about. R
egards Rich

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
I'd vote for using the stock Mustang electrical harness if you are, like me, electrically impaired. Painless is the way to go if you're building a carb car, tho, so get that decision out of the way early on! Get the three-link and coilovers during the three-day sale starting tomorrow, paint the frame yourself if you want to and that'll pay for a bunch of it. Check with some of the forum vendors for gauge packages specifically designed for FFR's if FFR's price is too high...especially with the 3-day sale, maybe you can connect there. That's what I'd do, FWIW.

·
Senior Charter Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, for the suggestions, I'd like to get a bunch more opinions by wednesday when I head up there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.